1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA antenna placement

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by aquafuzz, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aquafuzz

aquafuzz AllStar

Jan 17, 2007
    Ive got a full sized antenna and its placed in the attic and I pull in local channels via my tv but when run through my HR20 I get the 771 screen. The tv will acquire SD and HD signals but the HR20 will not. Is this something with the HR20 software?

Im in the Charleston SC area, how do I find out the best compass degree to set the antenna at?

Heres my set up:

Philips 43" Plasma
    HR20-700
    5LNB dish and a small duel LNB dish for local SD channels

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    go to ANTENNAWEB.ORG it will tell you where to point the antenna.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Did you go through the setup again?

If you're simply moving the OTA cable from the TV to the HR20 and you've gone through the setup, I'd be suspicious that the HR20 has a bad OTA tuner.

I'm assuming that both HR20 satellite cables are connected directly to a WB68 at all times.

How is the dual LNB dish connected into the setup?

One final bit of silliness: do you have the BBCs installed?

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    As posted www.antennaweb.org will "point" you in the right direction.
    When you say "SD" channels, are you meaning old analog channels? The HR-20 doesn't have a NTSC tuner so only channels listed in the guide after your OTA setup, will come in [the ones X-1, 2 etc.]

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    For OTA? :confused:

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Due to the unimaginable relationship between satellite and OTA reception, I'm leaving no stone unturned. The other method of dozens of posts back and forth works too, but it can take a long time.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Another one of those...I never thought of it...:)

8. aquafuzz

aquafuzz AllStar

Jan 17, 2007
    Thanks

9. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006

You have multipath.

The HR20 is great with OTA provide it does not have reflected signals hitting it. Putting the antenna in the attic is bad for two reasons. First it reduces the signal. Second (and worse), it it like being in a cave with such bad echos you can't hear anything.

Step one is to get out of the cave.

For a list of other ideas, check this out:

Dozens of Great HD Channels are Just Waiting for You

also:

Adding More HD Channels to Your HR20

In particular avoid using antennaweb. They often show half or fewer of the channels you will really get. For me, they say I could get at most 1 HD channel. Even in Chicago, they only think there are 12 channels. I got 27 after help from this site:

HDTV Magazine

To really be able to help you we need to know what zip code you are in.

- Craig

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Craig, how do you use this site?
    I don't see anything but a listing of network channels. I don't see the detail that I get in reference to mountains etc. for my area that I do at www.antennaweb.org with my zip code.
    In my area the topography has a lot to do with what I can or can't get, so I find [so far] it to work better than what I see with HDTV Mag. Is there something I'm not doing when I go to that site?

11. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Go to hdtvmagazine . Click Subscribe and subscribe.
    Go back to the first page and click your market.
    You will get a great customized Google map showing your house and all of your channels. Click Hybrid or Satellite to see great areal photos for most urban areas. Click Print to get a perfect spreadsheet.

Unlike antennaweb, hdtvmagazine will disclose all channels in your market. Plus antennaweb lacks the areal photos.

Click 60601 for downtown Chicago and hdtvmagazine correctly lists 29 digital channels. At 57 miles out, I can get 27 of them.

antennaweb lists one! One digital channel! Try it yourself. ONE digital channel! What is funny is that it is the single hardest channel in Chicago, 2.1 WBBM! Some people a few miles from their tower can't get WBBM.

I have helped dozens of people with OTA. antennaweb is so bad every time. In every market around the US I have tried so far.

Would several of you try hdtvmagazine and antennaweb to compare your results to what is possible ?

- Craig

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
  13. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Antennaweb has been very good for my area to see what chanels I can get.. however as far as how to aim your antenna it is only a guide.. It will give you a direction but all final aiming should be done with the HR20 signal meters.. I have 2 channels here that are almost due south but recieve best with antenna pointed west.. this is problably because of multipath and the 'altered' direction helps to cancel out the multipath problem..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.