1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

OTA antenna recommendation?

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by Lord Vader, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I posted a similar thread on the AVS forum but received zero responses, so I thought I'd check here.

It has been several years since I purchased an OTA indoor antenna, which is a discontinued model but still in use at my primary residence. I'm looking for a recommendation as to the best OTA antenna to use indoors in the following setup:

• 2nd floor apt. of a 3-story bldg.
    • far NW side of Houston (Jersey Village, specifically)
    • apt. unit faces south
    • Indoor antenna could be either powered or non-powered, whichever is best
    • To be used on an HR20-700 and/or via a splitter to an AM21 connected to an HR24

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Let me see what I can figure out for you.

3. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm considering this, but I don't think it will fit in your living room.

4. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    OK, thanks, Stuart.

5. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Maybe I'll put it on my balcony & piss off management even more. :-D

That thing is HUGE!

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  7. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I think my building is some 30 to 45 miles away from the antenna farm, which appears to be south/southwest of the city, and I'm far northwest of the city.

What often confuses me is the whole VHF/UHF thing. It always seems am antenna will get one or the other well but never both.

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I stuck this "mat" antenna high up on a wall, as I too am on the wrong side from the towers.
    30-45 miles is well within my range, as I'm getting one station from 70 miles away.

either seek help for what frequencies you need or check TVfool.com and find out.

9. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    That signal blade looks rather nice. Definitely less of an eyesore than most.

So all you did was just stick it up on a wall somewhere, huh? Nice.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There are plenty of antennas that get both.

There is a misconception that you don't need VHF for HDTV, so there are a lot of UHF antennas sold.

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    If you look at the one I posted, you'll see it looks a lot different than older units. The radials are no where near as long. This one is supposedly tuned to High VHF and UHF, channels 7 and up. There really isn't much any more below Channel 7 (Low VHF) in most markets, so there is no need for the longer radials.

I still have a major player on actual channel 12, so I can't go straight UHF for an antenna. And with them being close to 70 air miles, I need all the pull I can get. I'm getting them now about 80% of the time with a shorter boom antenna and a mast mounted pre-amp. I'm hoping this change will help bring it closer to 100% coverage.

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    A channel master 4221 with the addition of a 18" pair of whiskers connected to the antenna feedpoint if you have any channel 7,8 or 9 there.

13. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    The NBC channel is channel 2 here.

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Probably not on their true broadcast channel. They're probably UHF mapped down to Ch 2.

15. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I'm not sure. I did look for any other NBC broadcast channel here, & that's the only one I saw.

16. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    If you feel inclined to post the station call letters, somebody can look it up.

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    NBC in Houston is channel 35 according to TVFool.com

18. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Then they're probably mapping it to 2, because that's what I have to tune to in order to view it.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Post a zip code and I'll check TVfool

20. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    KPRC real channel is 35. The only VHF stations you have to worry about are KUHT (PBS 8) and a DAYSTAR station on channel 7.