1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA antenna / Slimline

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by CessnaDriver, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1 of 14
    CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver Mentor

Jul 6, 2007
    When upgraded all of my equipment 14 months ago, the installer installed a Slimline so that I was ready for the new HD channels. However, he unhooked my OTA antenna because he said it couldn't be fed into the new Zinwell Multiswitch that he installed.

He did say that in the near future, an even newer multiswitch would be out that would do the Slimline and the OTA antenna and then once again I would be able to use a diplexer and split the cable at the receiver so that I can get locals over the antenna.

Has this technology come out yet?

I want to be able to get the extra local digital channels that have the weather radar and other odds and ends.

I've searched around here for this info and can't find it. It may be here in front of my face and I don't understand what I am reading. :confused:

Thanks!

edit: I wanted to clarify that the only antenna feed from the attic is into the garage where the dish cabling comes in, which is also where the multiswitch is installed.

2. Oct 1, 2008 #2 of 14
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Search for SWM..

3. Oct 1, 2008 #3 of 14
    thestaton

thestaton Legend

Aug 14, 2008
    I'm going to base my example as if you have 2 TV's that need service. And you will not be using the OTA port on the SWM8. I tried using the OTA port but it cut my signal from 50 to 75% so don't bother using it.

You need...

2 HD-DVR (HR20, HR21, HR22) & AM-21 per receiver.

1 x. SWM8. When I got mine solid signal had them for the cheapest.

You will need a splitter like the SWS2. Solid signal said it was approved by direct tv so that's why I chose it.

Then you will need 3 diplexers. I'm using the Channel Plus CPV902 and they work great.

Finally, I would recommend picking up 4 3ft RG-6 runs and probably 2 1FT RG-6 runs.

Remember this example is for 2 receivers so if you have more you will need to adjust the quantities.

If this doesn't scare you off let me know and I'll be happy to explain how to hook it all together.

4. Oct 1, 2008 #4 of 14
    Cmnore

Cmnore Godfather

Sep 22, 2008
    You can try using a preamplifier between the antenna and the SWM.

5. Oct 2, 2008 #5 of 14
    Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    It works just fine for me, feeding OTA to 4 HR2Xs.

I'd try it first, for a cleaner, simpler, installation. If your signal strengths are not satisfactory, then diplex externally.

6. Oct 2, 2008 #6 of 14
    Cmnore

Cmnore Godfather

Sep 22, 2008
  7. Oct 2, 2008 #7 of 14
    thestaton

thestaton Legend

Aug 14, 2008
    In my case I was getting 100% on every local channel and after feeding it through the SWM8 they where all cut down to 40 to 48%...

8. Oct 2, 2008 #8 of 14
    Kansas Zephyr

Jun 29, 2007
    In my case I was getting 100% direct...via the SWM 90-95%.

Again, for those of us with good OTA signals, with or without a preamp, you can try via the SWM first. It's less hassle.

You can always diplex externally later, if you have problems.

9. Oct 2, 2008 #9 of 14
    whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    I just did this yesterday. I was getting 100% on all 7 of my local channels running the antenna direct to one DVR. After diplexing through the SWM, I now get 100% on 5 stations and 80-85% on the other two. I must say I was surprised the signals were that good after reading the horror stories here about the SWM8's OTA port. But this way works just fine for me.

10. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    People keep forgetting that the SWM splits the OTA signal in two so it can feed both the SWM outputs. If you are not using both the SWM outputs you are throwing away more than half your OTA signal if you use the internal diplexer. So a splitter on one SWM output is delivering less than one quarter of the original OTA signal to each receiver. If you use a separate diplexer to diplex OTA onto one SWM output, you will double your signal strength compared with using the internal diplexer.

11. thestaton

thestaton Legend

Aug 14, 2008
    Wow that is bizarre that it works great for some people, and horrid for others.

Pelican & Zephyr: What freq (UHF / VHF ) are your locals on?

For my area: I have 1 on VHF Low, 1 on VHF High, and 2 on UHF. The SWM didn't seem to harm the VHF signals to low, but it was crushing the UHFs.

12. Kansas Zephyr

Jun 29, 2007
    Digital signals are on RF Channels:
    19 will move to 12 post-analog
    21 will move to 10
    29 will move to 8
    31 may move to 19

13. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    OTA is a finicky beast. Most of the time you just have to try things and see what happens.

Its like how just minor tweaks in an OTA antenna can make HUGE signal differences.

14. whitepelican

whitepelican Godfather

May 9, 2007
    My stations are all UHF, from 21 to 51 I believe. I think that 51 is going to go to VHF high (channel 11) at the switchover, but I think I'll still be OK. I am using a ChannelMaster 4221 antenna located in the attic of my garage feeding the SWM8's OTA port, and I'm 13-18 miles from all the towers.