1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA Channel Availability in CVille VA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by sarhaynes, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarhaynes

sarhaynes AllStar

Dec 10, 2006
    Charlottesville, VA (22901) is a small place. When I first moved here in 1994 there was only Channel 29 (NBC) and Channel 41 (PBS). Even when I was growing up in Maine we had the 4 major Networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS).

Several fledgling startups tried (PAX) but failed and so I waited.:sleeping:

Then Grey Communications moved in and gave us a CBS, ABC, and FOX but alas they were only Analog. By that time only NBC29 and PBS41 were digital... and so I waited.:sleeping:

DirectTV promised that they would add Charlottesville to Locals over satellite... Then Dish came in brokered some deal... and so I waited.:sleeping:

Then in October of 2006 the Grey Communication stations went digital (not HD, but digital). My H10 receiver could pick them and I could watch them.:hurah:

But alas, the H10 was doomed and I wanted the shiny new HR20 :D . So added the HR20-700 and upgraded my H10 to H20-100 :) .

Now it seems after a year of ABC16, CBS19, and FOX27 being digital (with subchannels for MyCVilleTV and 19NOW), DirecTV still does not know they exist :( . I can't record off them on my HR20 because it doesn't scan :( . I can't watch them on my H20-100 because the OTA channels are broken (see post in H20 forum). If DirecTV would add these to local market info over the satellite this would probably make all my problems go away and I would be happy.

But until then... I am still waiting. Patiently.!pusht!

Sean
    Equipment:
    HR20-700
    H20-100
    Sat-Go
    2 Ancient RCA Standard Def boxes

2. derbunk

derbunk Cool Member

Jul 21, 2007
    I feel your pain. I'm in the Burg. What i don't understand is how our DMA ranks higher that The 'ville's. Even though it's just by one spot, don't make much sense to me.

On the side though, it may not not be your local channel but you may try for a waiver for the Distant Network. Just got CBS the other day after the second try. However I truly cannot get any signals where i am, darned limestone i guess.

I've heard thru different sources that we may be up and running for locals beginning of next year but I've learned to take anything I hear about D* with a grain of salt.

3. sarhaynes

sarhaynes AllStar

Dec 10, 2006
    Fortunately, I have waivers from way back and can get the distant networks. However, it does not help when you want to watch local sports or other special events.

Sean

4. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I hate being so stupid, but what is OTA :blush: And here I thought it was only WEST Virginia that got bypassed not VIRGINIA--you have made my day :)

5. sarhaynes

sarhaynes AllStar

Dec 10, 2006
    Over The Air (not via sat)

6. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Orange, Virginia here. It is more confusing than that. With my OTA direct to my television tuner, I get all the Charlottesville channels really solid. With my H20-600, All the channels show up on the edit page, but only 27,29, and 41 digitals show up on the guide, and 27 is really ABC 16 when you tune to it!??!. With my HR20-700, only 29 and 41 digital show up on the edit page and also on the guide, and no others. Amazing that D* can't seem to get their guide media provider to give them accurate, up to date data and that the HR20 OTA tuner seems to be weaker than the H20 or television tuners in that it doesn't even show them up to be edited. All the above tuners are located in the same space with the same cable runs.

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Although the HR20 can't scan for OTA, you can enter primary and secondary network zipcodes for your local stations.

8. Dolly

Dolly Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    This is picked up by an antenna right? Oh I hate those things they are so ugly :blackeye:

9. sarhaynes

sarhaynes AllStar

Dec 10, 2006
    I have the problem on the H20-100. I posted a message in the H20 forum about the issue (See http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=104452). This broke after they upgraded the software in my H20, so it is a D* software problem. I hope they fix it in the H20 update. I have not been able to hit any of the H20 CE windows to see if they have fixed this yet.

10. sarhaynes

sarhaynes AllStar

Dec 10, 2006
    Yep.

11. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    Not ugly at all when you see the pretty pictures they deliver.

Sound's like you've been watching too many cableco ads. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.