1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

OTA channel scanning for non HR34 receivers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tkrandall, Nov 28, 2012.

1. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm just revisting an "old" topic wondering if there is any updated information or outlook for if the HR2x and H2x software will be revised to enable OTA scanning (with an AM21 of course) like the HR34 has, including integrating channels into the guide (so they can be tuned, which is the ultimate objective) even if the DirecTV database does not have programming info for that channel/subchannel. (Ideally, it could/should defer to the PSIP pgogram info for the guide if the channel is missing in their database.)

I truly wish Direct had ATSC standard capability such as adding or taking away subchannels depending on what the PSIP stream contains - like most other TV ATSC tuners do on the fly.

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for OTA scanning on HR2X's.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    My feeling is, it's not going to happen. You know, I was there pretty much day 1 when the HR20 launched back in 2006. From that day forward there really was only one significant improvement to the HR10 (its TiVo-imbued predecessor.) I think it's not quite that bad between the HR2x series and the HR34... I think there will be some continued improvement but you're not going to see major new features like OTA scanning put in. I'm not even sure if the hardware would handle it; at one point I was told that the ATSC tuners in the HR20 at least wouldn't handle PSIP. I don't know about the AM21, clearly it is adaptable to OTA scanning since it does work with HR34 but the software isn't there in the HR2x to do it.

DIRECTV does an excellent job of OTA compared to pretty much every other cable and satellite provider. DISH has done it well in the past but Hopper's ATSC adapter, with its sketchy guide data and single tuner, is a big step back.

4. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    According to the solidsignal website and the Directv forum , the THR22 with AM21 also does scanning. Has anyone tried this with the THR22?

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is a business decision. You can probably count on two fingers how many business decisions have been reversed for the better over the years with respect to the HR2x series. The only one I can come up with off the top of my head is Double-Play.

If TiVo does it, it is because it benefits TiVo. The code is probably already there in the tuner API anyway.

I'd bet there would be a lot broader support for portable eSATA recordings than OTA scanning so you have to be careful what you wish for.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    The HR10-250 scanned for off-air channels and the THR22 works the same way. But I doubt we'll ever see that feature on the HR2x HD DVRs. I just don't think Off-Air is much of a priority for DirecTV any more.

7. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    We have several OTA channels that are OTA in phoenix I would like to use the DVR with ME TV for one. My wife loves Columbo and they have the NBC Mystery Movie 2 hour Columbo on Sunday night.

8. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    I just wished they would update the guide data for ota.
    My local ION station changed freq's from channel 51 to 26. Now the reciever says searching for antenna signal.

9. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    If
    1)you could scan and/or do manual setup, and
    2) if they would index guide data for OTA stations to the station identity extracted from the PSIP station data contained in the OTA signal during scan or manual set up, rather than from a pre-populated list maintained by zip code, that would not be an issue.

If.