1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ota digital tuner and multiple markets

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by cobaltblue, Jun 23, 2014.

1. cobaltblue

cobaltblue AllStar

Feb 22, 2006
    I have come back to Dish recently and am new to the Hopper and Joey. I live in an area where the FCC says my DMA locals are 70 miles away. I have a roof antenna up that picks up two different and closer markets one 50 miles and the other 40. with the ota digital tuner will I be able to receive these stations on Dish and see them in my guide even though they are not the locals Dish has up for us?

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The OTA tuner will give you anything it can find when you do a scan. If it doesn't have guide data, it will say so but it will allow you to tune it nonetheless.

3. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Yes you should get guide info. I get guide info for two different DMA's even though I obviously only live in one of them.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You can tune and watch any OTA channel that your antenna reels in for you. They will all appear in the EPG, and will have EPG info IF Dish carries them via SAT for sure... many of the sub-channels that Dish does not carry may also have EPG data as well.

Anything with EPG data can be recorded just like the SAT channels. Anything without EPG data can still be recorded with a manual timer.

5. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Last I checked there was still no way to add single channels to the OTA on the Hopper/Sling. Has anyone come up with a solution for those of us with OTA in different markets/directions? Last time I tried scanning another market it lost the previous market.

6. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Hopper still only stores channels it can see a signal from.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    There is no way around it unless and until they actually write the code for this "coming soon" feature. I'm actually disappointed in Dish for putting that teaser there and still not following through. I did not suspect they would do it, however, because the 922 never had it and I used to ask for that a LOT! I eventually gave up asking.

8. Jan 7, 2015 #8 of 30
    LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    You could add individual channels in the 622. How hard could this be to add to the hoppers?...I'll pay for the 15 minutes of coding myself. :grin:

9. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Fallston, MD
    With the 722K (and probably the 622), when you scan, it just adds new channels that it finds and doesn't remove the old channels (unless you manually remove them). One of the handful of reasons that I am not "upgrading" to the Hopper. I don't understand why "upgrading" often means that you lose features that you like.

1 person likes this.
  10. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Yea, I've noticed that too on the 722k, but doesn't the 922K work the same? Or does the 922K delete ch's it doesn't see?? I can't remember if it does or not, been awhile since I did a scan on my 922

11. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I take it you can not "see" both markets at the same time? Or are there virtual channel conflicts? (i.e. two different "channel 6's").

In my case I aim my antenna at the weakest station and usually the scan catches the other signals off the side of the antenna (to be fair my local transmitters are so close their tower light illuminate the evening sky out my back windows) .

Have you tried 2 antennas combined? While that would be a ghostly mess in analog, it might still work with digital signals.

12. DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN Legend

Oct 13, 2009
    SALEM,MISSOU...
    I was wondering when you have all OTA dog to the Hopper with sling with Joey also be able to view the OTA channels too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    ??????????????????????????

14. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    With the Hopper OTA adapter the Joey can also view OTA channels.

15. DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN Legend

Oct 13, 2009
    SALEM,MISSOU...
    Ok I just want to know before I bought one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    The dongle adds one OTA tuner to your Hopper. The Joeys can see it, but keep in mind that it's just one tuner. If it's in use on the Hopper Joey access is limited to what the Hopper sees (unlike satellite signals where you have 3 tuners).

17. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    BTW: The FCC is not the determining factor of the DMA your are assigned. A private company, Nielsen Research, makes the determination based on their viewer surveys. They are usually based on whole counties with just a few exceptions. Over time counties have switched DMA's. A prime example is Lawrence County PA which originally was in the Youngstown. OH DMA but is now in the Pittsburgh DMA (despite being literally next door to the city of Youngstown).

Just curious what are the 3 markets? It sounds like Ashtabula County OH where Erie, PA and Youngstown are closer yet they are in the Cleveland DMA.

18. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    I am in between the Philadelphia and New York markets. The signals are nearly 180 degrees apart, so no catching off the side of the antenna. I have wondered if two antennas feeding down the same line thru a splitter might work. Haven't tried it yet.

19. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    On one of the antenna web sites it basically states that having two antennas will not work; split or other wise. Your best bet is to by an antenna that can easily pointed to either transmitter. I am between three transmitters, and only receive two, because no matter where I place my antenna, I will get two of three. I just points towards the south fro Denver and Firestone/Frederick, and forget about anything coming from Ft. Collins.

Now comes the bad news, the Hopper OTA adapter, as others have pointed out, doe snot allow you to add channels, so you have to do a full scan each time. And you can't add one channel you know its there. Finally, it takes two seconds to scan each channel (non-adjustable). Which means that it will skip a channel you know you can get. I have this latter problem, I have channels that it will skip, because of such a short scan time.

Of course, if they ever upgrade the firmware, they could at least not scan channels 2 - 6, and 52 -69; they are no longer TV frequencies, make it user adjustable fro scan time and allow people to add channels. When the adapter works great, there is certainly room for improvement.

1 person likes this.
  20. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    One other thing to note, the Hopper OTA adapter can, under certain circumstances force the Hopper to reboot. Or, what just happened about 10 minutes ago, cease working, requiring a red button reset. This can happen if one does multiple scans in a short period of time. Unfortunately, I have not found an alternative that integrates well with the Hopper. That is, not having to switch between outputs on one's TV.

And I forgot, the screen adjustments that can be used on SD and HD channels driven by the Hopper, will work fro the OTA channels, but you have to make the adjustments before tuning in the OTA channel.