1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA Experts...please chime in!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CobraGuy, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CobraGuy

CobraGuy Godfather

Apr 23, 2007
    I have an antenna in my garage attic that is HUGE! It was placed there by the original owner and it's possible it's 12 years old. It gives my TV's that are hooked directly to it excellent reception. My question is...is this older antenna likely to be able to receive HD OTA local broadcasts? I would like to add that to my HR-20 if so. I could always give it a try and see....but was hoping for some insight from you guys first. I do run a couple of TV's in my house strictly off OTA reception and I don't want to lose that. Also, adding a dedicated HD antenna isn't as easy as it sounds...It would be very difficult to install it with the old antenna where it is...and the garage attic is my only place available to put it. I mean this thing is HUGE! I would have to cut it up to get it out of there. He must have installed that thing from little pieces to get it there. It covers most of my garage attic and is intertwined amongst the rafters and beams. I would like to use it if I could.

2. waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    The antenna should work provided it gets both uhf and vhf.

3. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    There is not such thing as an HD antenna. Antennae do UHF, VHF or both. For the band they do, they do analog and digital.

Hook it up.

4. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    There's really no such thing as an "HD antenna" - any uhf/vhf will do and many HD signals come in over the UHF band right now anyway, but some are on VHF and it's expected that stations with VHF frequencies that are using UHF for HD will revert to their VHF signal for HD once the analog signals go dark.

All you need is a standard antenna. Hook it up and see what you get. It may require a little reaiming and it may be that mounting in the attic isn't optimal, but it should work.

5. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Looks like others beat me too it but don't fall for the sales pitch that you need an "HD antenna" and pay extra for it. The antenna you have now should work just fine. Plug it in and setup OTA and see what you get.

I personally have a nearly 20 year old rusting antenna on the roof of my house that was there when we bought it. Plugged it into my first HD receiver and viola, HD channels everywhere. :)

6. CobraGuy

CobraGuy Godfather

Apr 23, 2007
    You guys are great!! I'll give it a whirl.

One other question....can I split the signal with a regular splitter so that I can run one leg to the HR20 and the other leg to my TV's that aren't on a satellite receiver? The splitter will be about 50' (maybe less) after the antenna and about 3' before the HR20. Then who knows how long the runs are to the TV's!

7. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Yeah, you should be able to split the antenna without problem. If there are low signal issues, then you can add an amp...

8. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    You could slap a "HD Antenna" label on a metal coat hanger from your dry cleaners if you wanted to. As others have said, plug it in and your good to go.

9. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Yep, this wire mesh trash can (sorry, that's an HD signal receptacle :lol: ) works just fine for the H20 in my home office....
    [​IMG]

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006

Hey, watch it! That's dangerously close to infringing on my patent! :bonk1: !rolling

11. Albie

Albie Godfather

Jan 26, 2007
    Would that be a UHF, VHF or Dual Band trash can...excuse me, HD signal receptacle?:lol:

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Clearly it's a UHF HD signal receptacle.

13. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    The HD signal receptacle is not fully Dual Band certified, but will receive ch. 11-1 if I move it from under the desk (that's the only vhf signal currently operational in New Orleans) :D

14. John4924

John4924 Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Follow this link and you can filter for stations in your area [you can filter only digital stations if you want]

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/audio/tvq.html

You can look at details for each channel for power ratings, expected coverage area, location of towers, etc. This may help with fine tuning antenna direction.

Cheers,
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.