1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA Fox Problem with HR23-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by altan, Oct 5, 2009.

1. altan

altan Cool Member

Sep 9, 2007
    I have not watched much OTA TV for the past several months, but it always worked "fine" (with the exception of the fade to black problem). With the beginning of the fall season (as well as the upgrade for the HR23-700), OTA FOX with the AM21 has short video glitches and occasional very brief audio glitches.

The video problem often looks like significant judder or very quick problems when scene changes (perhaps just a frame or two).

In short, audio problems fairly infrequently (every 10 or so minutes), video glitches every 10 or 20 seconds.

I'm in the Atlanta area. No problem on any other OTA channels. I've got about 85% signal strength. This has been happening for the past 2 weeks.

Anyone having this problem or similar OTA AM21 problems recently?

... Altan

2. altan

altan Cool Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Wow... Am I the only one with this problem? Perhaps...

... Altan

3. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Do you experience this problem if you bypass the AM21 and the HR23 and go directly to your display? Maybe you haven't tried that. It could eliminate a cause or two.

4. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I'd think its a site specific issue, possibly multipathing with nearby transmitters. I watch ota often (including fox) and do not have this.

5. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I'm not real familiar with the AM21, but have a thought. If you haven't watched OTA in a while, you might need to do a rescan. I had to do that with an OTA digital box I have, but I'm not sure if you need to do that with the AM21.

Some DTV stations changed their coverage after June 12, 2009, and new DTV stations began operating over time. So they were recommending that you periodically rescan. In my area, they added a second digital channel for the same station that had a stronger signal. After a rescan, I was able to get much better reception using that new channel.

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    What frequencies are your locals using for OTA?

7. altan

altan Cool Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Sorry for the late response. I just gve up on this issue...

But I see more people complained about the issue during the baseball content and something is (apparently) being done about it.

... Altan

8. christo76

christo76 Godfather

Sep 12, 2006
    I have an HR20-700 with built in OTA tuners and there has always been problems with how it handles OTA recordings. Actually I hadn't really noticed it much for the past year until the new fall season just started and its been bad again. It is purely caused by how the dvr handles it. The Satellite fed version (from same feed) has no issues and watching straight from OTA to TV has no issues. It is very very annoying especially being in wisconsin were winter storms will block the satellite but my OTA is fine. I tried to set up all shows to record the OTA version, but some are just unwatchable with the way it records them. It nicely seems to judder right at the time something important is being discusses and leaves you guessing what they said.