1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ota guide question

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by aaronbud, Jan 21, 2017.

1. aaronbud

aaronbud Legend

Nov 3, 2006
    So I received a notice that states that dish is going to start charging separately for local channels, which will result in my bill going up $5 each month. I have all three of my dvrs connected to a rooftop antenna. If I cancel locals from dish, will I still get program guide info for these channels?

2. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    This is a new policy from DISH, you may have to call and ask.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 28, 2013
    Make sure you fully understand what Dish is saying. The locals are being broken out as a separate line item on your bill, but the $5 increase is simply the normal annual increase that occurs every year around this time. As I understand it, only the new "Flex" package has the locals as an extra cost option. They're included with the other packages...

4. aaronbud

aaronbud Legend

Nov 3, 2006
    Dutch, the notice stated that top 200 was going down $5, locals breaking out as $10 when previously they were included. That lead me to think one can drop locals and save $5 from previous pricing...

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It doesn't look (unless I'm wrong) like you can actually drop the locals... even though they are now itemized as a $10 option. It seems like IF they started allowing people the option to drop them... it would help to further send a message to the LiLs about future cost negotiations. If customers don't want to pay $10 now, and we could drop them and go OTA... it would help to curb those broadcasters for the next time they decided to negotiate for higher rates.

6. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Right now the only package you can drop locals from is the Flex Pack.

With the newly released 2 tuner OTA adapter and splitting this out, I would not be surprised if they allow more packages to drop locals when their contracts line up and allow them to

7. jamelar

jamelar Cool Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Yes. If your OTA module is receiving a station, and guide information is available for that station, you will get the guide info.

aaronbud likes this.
  8. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you cancel locals I doubt you will get EPG data for OTA for those locals. Dish has never done this in the past... you must have locals in your subscription in order to get OTA EPG data.

9. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    since the Flex pack became available with the ability to cancel locals the guide data HAS been there even if locals are dropped (even on unsubscribed receivers)

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That's new behavior from Dish. In the past, when they used to allow you to drop Locals, the EPG data always went away too. That would be nice if true, but given Dish's behavior in the past I would be pleasantly surprised if this was intentional.