1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA HDTV audio question.

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by Brian Hill, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Brian Hill

Brian Hill New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Do/will OTA HDTV signals have the ability to include a Dolby Digital (2.0 or 5.1) audio portion?

2. Jimbob

Jimbob Cool Member

Apr 22, 2002
    OTA HDTV has the capability for DD 5.1, some programs use it. :)

3. Guest

ABC13 in Houston transmits DD 5.1 even when it should be DD 2.0. Go figure...

4. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Dolby Digital is part of the HDTV spec so every OTA broadcast will have it in one form or another. Right now CBS does NOT have the ability to broadcast Dolby Digital 5.1. I think ABC does but I'm not sure.

5. Brian Hill

Brian Hill New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Thank you all for the info! It's a question I've had since I spent the money to step into home theater and have been contemplating an HDTV ready set. I imagine once the networks become experienced at broadcasting 5.1, they may start to take advantage during sporting events. Perhaps a coaches' mike each in the right and left front, commentators dominating in the center, and crowd noise in the rear. Perhaps that would be asking too much, but they certainly could do commentary in the front 3 and crowd noise in the rear. At least it might feel more like you were at the stadium. A guy can dream, can't he? :D

6. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    CBS may be broadcasting DD 5.1 by the start of next season - CBS is upgrading their national broadcast equipment as we speak. ABC already sends the DD 5.1 feed.

7. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    All OTA digital stations are broadcasting in Dolby Digital (2.0 or 5.1). In my area, Portland, OR, only ABC is broadcasting in DD 5.1.