1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA issue reporting web page

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Doug Brott, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Apr 20, 2007 #1 of 148
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Edit: 8/23/2008
    --- NOTE: This Post is NO LONGER valid ---
    Someone revived this thread from the dead .. This first post is no longer valid
    =========================================================

DirecTV has made great strides in correcting all of the OTA problems (missing channels, etc.). Unfortunately, there are still a few problems that pop up.

I have created a web site so that you can log your issue. It is my hope that we can get DirecTV, or at a minimum, Earl to respond and update the status as things progress.

If you continue to have problems with OTA channels on your HR20, then please take a few moments to visit the

OTA issue reporting web page

Just click on the big orange button at the top of the page to submit your issue.
    Please note the model of your DirecTV receiver in the comment section.

Thank you for your help as we try to get every issue corrected.

Cheers.

2. Apr 20, 2007 #2 of 148
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    FYI .. This web page is a little more raw than I would normally like, but I'm hoping that it can go away in a few weeks as these problems get sorted out.

If you have any problems with the web page, please contact me here @ DBSTalk.com via Private Message ..

3. Apr 20, 2007 #3 of 148
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Excellent work as always, of course. I've entered my data already... I'm glad this was promoted to a Sticky immediately!

4. Apr 20, 2007 #4 of 148
    waynebtx

waynebtx Hall Of Fame

Dec 24, 2006
    Kingsville,T...
    Ok i entered KIII 3-2 and shows on list as 3-3 ???

5. Apr 20, 2007 #5 of 148
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    No it doesn't ;) -- all fixed

6. Apr 20, 2007 #6 of 148
    Chilli_Dog

Chilli_Dog AllStar

Dec 26, 2005
    In our area (Champaign-Springfield-Decatur), we have the following situation:

3 WCIA (CBS)
    49 WCFN (MyNetwork TV)

Both are broadcast on the same digital channel, so the breakdown looks like this:

3 WCIA (analog)
    3-1 WCIA
    3-2 WCFN
    are broadcast out of Champaign.

49 WCFN (analog)
    49-1 WCFN
    49-2 WCIA
    are broadcast out of Springfield (repeated signal).

So, when I enter WCIA, it brings up channel 3. 3-1 is already in the guide. However, 3-2 is not. I can enter the 2 for subchannel, but the 2 really refers to WCFN.

Same goes for WCFN. 49-1 is in the guide. I need to enter 2, but it really refers to WCIA.

So, how do I correctly enter this on the OTA page??? :confused:

7. Apr 20, 2007 #7 of 148
    brittonx

brittonx Godfather

Dec 25, 2006
    So, are you just looking for mismatched guide data / channel numbers? My OTA problems are that the HR20 OTA tuners cannot receive the same channels over the same antenna that my H20 can.

Do you want me to report all of those?

8. Apr 21, 2007 #8 of 148
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Hmmmm...that's a difficult question, a bit of a Catch 22.

If it is just a weak signal problem it doesn't belong in the database.

If it is a multi-path problem, it might.

The problem is, there is no way to know for sure.

I would look at it like this:

If using the same signal source (and I don't mean from a splitter) you get a strong signal on another tuner (like your stand alone HDTV), and that station is in the HR20 guide, but gives no signal or no signal and a 771 error, then I WOULD report it. So, take the feed that does work on your stand alone HDTV tuner and MOVE IT to the HR20. If that fails to produce a signal, then you can do something like this:

Here is what you should enter in the notes section of the entry:

"HR-20 receiver shows a 771 error on this channel while my HDTV tuner using the same feed (no splitter) produces a signal of 8 out of 10. I am "x" miles from the transmitting tower." (Put in more detail on your terrain, city vs. country, etc. if you feel like it, but don't write a book).

You need a separate entry for each channel and make sure to note any differences in the error number (if there is one) for each entry.

If you get a weak pixellating signal, DO NOT put this in the database. This is a local reception problem and has nothing to do with the HR20.

If you don't have any way to verify that the signal quality is good (with another tuner), then I would not report anything other than missing from guide/guide errors/mismapped channels, because you have no way to verify that other factors aren't causing your problems. We do not want to send D* down a blind alley.

(You can substitute H20 for HDTV Tuner and make the same entry...they just need to know that you have a reference Tuner that works perfectly while the HR20 doesn't, USING THE EXACT SAME FEED). Exact same feed means you physically move the connection from the device that DOES work (H20 in your example) to the HR20, and it DOESN'T work. If you don't do it this way, you could have a bad cable or connector causing the problem.

9. Apr 21, 2007 #9 of 148
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    This OTA survey is for tuner malfunctions/performance issues, it is NOT for reporting a missed recording. Missed recordings have nothing to do with the performance of the OTA tuner in the HR20.

Missed recordings are an entirely different malfunction and have nothing to do with the HR20 tuners or bad channel/frequency data.

Here is an example of an entry that someone put in, that DOES NOT belong in the database we are trying to compile:

"04/20/2007 - 12:48 - HR20 missed first run recording of "Grey's Anatomy" on Thursday, 4/19/07. DVR was in standby and not recording any other shows. "Grey's Anatomy" is number 3 in priority list. Show HAS been recorded successfully in the past. Space available - 65% (See KNBC-DT for the same issue -- same night)."

First run recording issues are NOT to be entered in the database...they have nothing to do with the HR20 tuners or the channel/frequency/mismapping issues...and those are the ones we are trying to solve.

10. Apr 21, 2007 #10 of 148
    Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Doug,

As always, amazing work. I sometimes say it half jokingly but I would love to see what you could do a in a week in El Segundo.

- Craig

11. Apr 25, 2007 #11 of 148
    marty45714

marty45714 Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    I take issue with your first sentence. I have spoken out about my missing channels since I bought my HR20's in December. I have called my local station. I have called Tribune. I have called DirecTV. Nothing! Very frustrating! :confused:

12. Apr 25, 2007 #12 of 148
    Chilli_Dog

Chilli_Dog AllStar

Dec 26, 2005
    It is frustrating. We have three local stations whose guide data is either missing or incorrect. Only one station made any effort to correct the situation -- and that was after a bit of prodding. The others have not responded to any requests to fix the data.

Calling DirecTV is almost always pointless. Front line tech support usually knows nothing beyond what is in their script. Their second tier support is often marginally knowledgeable at best. Is there anyone at D* that really knows what's going on??? :confused:

At least here we have Earl and other dedicated people trying to make a difference. Let's hope Brott catches the attention of the right people at D* so we can get the guide data issue resolved.

13. Apr 25, 2007 #13 of 148
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    My apologies if the wording doesn't fit the mold you prefer. I worded it that way in an attempt to keep the conversation productive. Heck before SW version 0x0108 you couldn't even get OTA, so if you ask me, significant strides have been made. It's not 100% which is the whole point, but it's not zero percent either.

14. Apr 25, 2007 #14 of 148
    sack9

sack9 AllStar

Mar 13, 2007
    Have had some problems since ota was turned on way back when. 98% sig on 13-1, 21-1, 5-1 in colorado springs, I get wierd pixel on these channels.. also it only does it on a good part of a show.

15. Apr 27, 2007 #15 of 148
    marty45714

marty45714 Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Doug, don't take my message personal. It is directed at D* and my displeasure with them as a customer.:)

16. Apr 27, 2007 #16 of 148
    Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    No worries .. :)

17. May 1, 2007 #17 of 148
    danman71

danman71 AllStar

Nov 21, 2006
    I meant to list the missing channel WAND as 17-2, not 17-17.

18. May 1, 2007 #18 of 148
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I added several channels to the list:

WALB-DT2 (Albany, GA)
    WTXL-DT2 (Tallahassee, FL)
    WTWC-DT2 (Tallahassee, FL)

~Alan

19. May 2, 2007 #19 of 148
    atdauph

atdauph Mentor

Apr 19, 2007
    I've had my HR-20 100 connected to a Radio Shack U75R (not split to any other source) for about a week now (thanks VOS and RadioEngrd :D), and I've noticed that the local Houston CBS (11-1) has audio and video dropouts every 30 seconds or so. And I mean a total dropout, total picture freeze or macro blocking for about 2 seconds. It happens all the time on any show, and these dropouts do NOT occur on the MPEG4 sat channel.

Whenever I go to the OTA signal meter, I can see why the dropouts are occurring. Every 30 seconds or so BOTH tuners will drop to zero and "un-lock" from the channel and then immediately return to 95-100%. If I keep watching the meters it will continue to do so.

I also get dropouts on PBS, but I suspect this is a different problem, because the dropouts tend to be less severe and only occur maybe every 10 or 15 minutes. This is probably due to my having a UHF antenna and PBS is a high VHF (??) channel.

20. May 2, 2007 #20 of 148
    Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Yesterday, I entered 40-2 for WTWC-DT2, but now it's showing up as "40-40." It wasn't like that yesterday...

That's weird...

~Alan