1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA issue with HR20-100S

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by swarren53, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swarren53

swarren53 Cool Member

Jul 24, 2007
    I just did an upgrade on Tuesday from my 10-250 to the HR20-100S and the 5 LNB for my den. Downstairs I had the H20 in bedroom that I got when they first came out and a new H20 for the living room last week. After some signal issues and not being able to receive any local HD channels via the dish or OTA from the antennaes on the H20 in bedroom or den, I was able to receive HD local channels via the dish. T

The interesting thing is that I have a inexpensive antennae hooked up to my HR20 that worked perfect, and actually better than the Terk I have in the bedroom for the H20. When I checked the OTA local stations (I keep hooked up for storms when dish goes out), the channels off of the OTA in the bedroom ( the dash 1 stations) came in perfect. The same channels on my new HR20 still will not receive and still show the 771 message. How can it be that one receiver will receive and the other not? I even tried moving the Terk to my HR20 and still no reception.

The HR20 has the connection in back for the OTA so was thinking that it would work fine. Any ideas of what the issue could be? I find it strange that my old H20 works fine and the new HR20 won't pick up the OTA antennae signals.

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Have you gone through the HR20 OTA antenna setup? You won't get any channels until you do.

3. swarren53

swarren53 Cool Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Yep, did it not once but twice. Reset receiver too before the 2nd try.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If I read this right, your "old H20" is a -600 that has a better OTA tuner than the HR-20.
    If your H20 is the -100, then it has a similar tuner to the HR-20, and it would be something else.

So if you do have the H20-600, then you will need a better antenna for the HR-20 to get the same channels.

5. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Try hooking your HR-20 up to the antenna that works for the H20. Do this in the room where the H20 is located.

Are you getting signal strength on either or both OTA tuners (under edit local channels page) for any stations? My -100 has a bad OTA tuner #2, so you might want to check that.

6. swarren53

swarren53 Cool Member

Jul 24, 2007
    You won't believe this and I am embarrassed to report but- I had not checked the back of the receiver after the tech came out and corrected my other issues with signal strength and replaced the old multiswitch with the new on that the other installer failed to do.

I looked behind the receiver and found that the tech had connected the OTA antennae connection to the RF remote antennae and not to the OTA input. I connected it up right and low and behold, everything works like a champ! I have reception on both OTA and the dish local HD stations. I hadn't checked because the tech that came out the second time was having fits over the quality of work the first tech did, so I didn't go back and double check his work.

7. Volman

Volman Godfather

Jul 13, 2007
    Should the HR20 work better(OTA) than an HR10 it replaces?I know it's supposed to have a better OTA tuner.I'm in a bad location for OTA,but was able to get it with my HR10s after lots of antenna setup.The new HR20 receives the same stations,but doesn't seem as stable(more pixelization on strong channels).

Could it be that I need to realign the antenna for the stronger,newer tuner for some reason?

8. swarren53

swarren53 Cool Member

Jul 24, 2007
    It appears that the picture is much more stable on the HR20, with no pixelation or cut out of picture. I constantly had problems with having to adjust the location and/or height of antennae with the 10-250. Picture popped right up on all local HD dash 1-3 channels when I tested. I'll let you know if I find any issues as I go along. I don't watch local channels much other than morning news, sports programs.

9. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I bet with it connected like that you could have changed channels on your HR20 from your neighbors house for if you OTA antenna is outdoor model that would be one big RF remote antenna. :D

10. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    At least you had the fortitude to come back and tell us!

Some would slink away and leave a completely false impression.

Just last week I was connecting up some USB > RS232 adapters (to evaluate them, no less). I got everything going and they didn't work. Nada.

After 15 mins of jacking around, chasing my tail with drivers, etc., what do I find?

Of the six or so RS232 cables I had on the floor running to various devices, I picked up one that wasn't connected to anything. Kind of puts a crimp in communications when only one side of the link is connected to anything.:)

11. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Both of those stories are funny. :)

12. swarren53

swarren53 Cool Member

Jul 24, 2007
    It was pretty embarrasing! I am pretty technically adept and can almost always find a solution to a problem or at least do all of the tracing and leg work prior to asking for assistance. In this case I was just so darned upset over having to have 3 visits from D* subs to replace my 3LNB with the 5LNB and hook up 2 new receivers that I spaced out double checking their work on the receiver.

I don't think I said, but first trip the sub (Directech) didn't bring the new dish and the HR20. D* forgot to put it on the work order. He only brought the H20. had to wait 6 days for next visit.

D* sub (not Directech) forgot the dish but brought the HR@). Went back and got the dish after I ranted for 5 minutes! Replaced the dish on my roof but due to extended height of new pole for dish, cable wasn't long enough. He left and had to pick up fittings to extend cable. Hooked up receiver and ran signal strength. When 103 didn't show, he said they were told not to worry about that satellite. He didn't check HD locals and either did I! I home office and was on a conference call when he was ready to leave so didn't follow up on his work. When I couldn't get local HD or OTA HD local, I flipped. I went to attic, found that the old powered multiswitch was still there and hotter than a firecracker, with 2 loose fittings. Tighted up and checked reception again. Checked connections in back of receiver. Nothing. Called D*, ranted some more and they sent out another tech the next day.

Directech showed up mid afternoon after I received a call from Directech national asking if install went OK that day. When I told them no one had been out, they said ticket was closed so figured I had been taken care of. Tech switched out multiswitch, tightened fittings, redid receiver fittings, went on roof and found that tech from day before just adjusted to get a signal but didn't tune dish for full potential. Made adjustments, wire tied cable that other tech left loose, came in and checked local HD. They worked! OTA still not working but he said that sometimes satellite reception on OTA is spotty. He left. I went downstairs and found that H20 with OTA was working.

Now you know the rest of the story! 3 visits, 3 Pepsid Complete and eating a little crow later, all is well - at the time being!

13. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    We've all done it...if we tinker at all. I have nearly 100 connections at the back of my HT setup, and easily that or more in the basement with my Ham Radio/Computer Interfacing. It's all one big accident waiting to happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.