1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA NBC Missing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by nomar116, Feb 12, 2009.

1. nomar116

nomar116 AllStar

Oct 10, 2007
    I have tried searching for this but just don't understand what's going on. I have an antenna setup in my attic using a SWM. The installer assured me he would set me up with all the local channels OTA but sure enough, no NBC.

I live in Meridian, MS zip 39305. The NBC affiliate, WGBC, appears to be within range using both Antennaweb and TVFool. TVFool lists the channel as 31 real, 30.1 virtual.

When I first set up the OTA based on 39305 zipcode, WGBC came up as channel 23.4. After 5 or 6 attempts to use different zipcodes (to no avail) I rest the channels and researched. Now WGBC shows up as channel 30.1, but the programming is FOX. Interestingly, TitanTV shows TWO 30.1 channels for my zipcode, one FOX affiliate and one NBC.

Any suggestions?

2. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    According to Wikipedia WGBC is on 31 digital, a FOX & NBC affiliate.

So FOX should be real 31.1, & NBC should be 31.2.

3. nomar116

nomar116 AllStar

Oct 10, 2007
    And according to Zap2it the channels are 30 for NBC WGBC and 30.1 for FOX WGBCDT. My HR20 is only recognizing 30.1, the FOX channel.

4. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    Looks like a guide problem then.
    What equipment do you have? Anything other than like an H20-600 (which will actually scan for channels) and you are completely dependent on the guide.
    Best bet is to probably contact your station and have them work the guide issue from their end.

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    This is exactly right. Tribune won't make any changes to their database unless it comes from the station, so contact the station and alert them to this issue, and they should work with Tribune to get the info corrected.

It might take a couple of weeks to show up. In the meantime, if you can find another zip code that contains a station on 30.2, and enter that zip as a secondary zip, you'll at least be able to tune in the station.

6. nomar116

nomar116 AllStar

Oct 10, 2007
    I'm questioning whether this is a guide issue entirely, I still don't understand why each resource is showing different channel numbers. I take it from a previous post, apparently WGBC broadcasts both a FOX and NBC channel.

I read a previous post but didn't fully understand nor could I find the other post he was referencing. If I wanted to use another market's zipcode as secondary how would I go about picking one? I tried a Pheonix and Miami market I found for channels 30 and 31 using TV Query. Everytime I did, though, the program guide showed lots of channels but none in thet 30 or 31 range.

7. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    You not only need a zip where there is a station that broadcasts digital on 31, but also uses the digital subchannel 31.2 so you can get your NBC.
    possible, just not very damn likely.

8. nomar116

nomar116 AllStar

Oct 10, 2007
    So why is it that when I search on TVQuery for networks that use channel 30 and use that zip, I still don't get a channel 30 to load? Is there a difference between the TVQuery channel listed and the one shown in the D* program guide? And just to clarify the channel appears to be some variation of 30, 30.1 and 30.2 as listed on TitanTV and the WGBC website...

9. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    If you're looking for a secondary zip to try and trick your receiver/DVR into tuning a channel that is available OTA but not in the guide then you need to look for the real or broadcast channel (in your case 31) and not the original channel that it pretends to be (30). The 30 part matters not at all.
    The big problem for you is that not only do you need a secondary zip with a real/broadcast 31 to use as secondary, but you need for it to have guide data, and you also need for the guide data to reflect subchannels.

10. lholten

lholten Cool Member

Jul 9, 2007
    According to my research
    Your NBC is broadcasting over real Channel 31.2 and will show up as 30.2 in your guide. This is according to rabbitears. This info does not agree with tvfool. Let's assume rabbitears is correct. Any of the following zip codes should provide you with a channel in your list that is phisically broadcasting over 31.2. 30.2 should then show up in your guide in your list of channels found although it may appear out of order. Go to edit channels and "remove" all of the extra channels that appear from whatever secondary zip code you use but of course don't delete 30.2. The guide info for 30.2 will not be correct for your NBC of course but you should at least be able to watch it through your receiver. I couldn't find another NBC affiliate broadcasting on 31.2 but found several others. The zip codes are as follows 93940, 33900, 33102, 30901, 40802, 50301, 70112, 45201, 97401, 37901, 38101, 78550, 74101. It doesn't seem to matter if the virtual or displayed channel matches your NBC - the broadcast channel, 31.2, just has to match. I think the virtual channel info, in your case 30.2, must be included in your broadcast stream. I don't know. Don't forget to remove your channels first, input your local zip code, and then when prompted for secondary try any of the zip codes listed above. If I could have found an NBC affiliate in your time zone broadcasting on 31.2 it would have worked better for your guide info but no such luck.
    Eventually your channel info will get worked out by directv but in the meantime this is an interesting workaround.