1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA Reception

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by rkh, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkh

rkh Mentor

Mar 18, 2005
    Does anyone know what reception level is needed to receive a stable OTA signal? I'm having difficulty holding an OTA channel in the mid 60's on the signal meter. My outboard digital tuner (Samsung) can hold the channel, but the 622 is having problems.

2. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    under 70 is usually unstable.

3. ctshead

ctshead Cool Member

Jan 3, 2006
    I have the same problem. My Tv's own ATSC tuner holds perfectly on a channel that the 622 has problems.

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I have two very weak OTA stations (<100watts, <5 miles away) and I loose lock if the signal strength drops below 55. 57,58 range it will lock and play.

5. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    Just to add, I have 2 622's. Both have problems in locking on channels where as my 921's and TV ATSC tuner lock on an work perfectly. With the 622, if the signal is below 68, it will actually cause the yellow screen of death and a reset.

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I have a version A 622 and it has the best ATSC tuner of all the ones I have. It is better that both my Samsung SIR-T351 and my Accurian 6000. It locks signals anywhere above 55-56 range. Pulls in stations the other two will not.

7. Jason Kragt

Jason Kragt Legend

Dec 19, 2002
    Locking in a signal depends on both strength and quality. I have one distant high-UHF station that will lock on with anything above about 58. I have another low-VHF station that still puts up yellow boxes at 80. The difference is electrical interference in the low-VHF band.

8. madbrain

madbrain Legend

Dec 10, 2004
    Comparing the 622 and the 921, the 622 has a much better ATSC tuner implementation. The 921 had a multitude of OTA problems - dropping sound and picture on certain OTA subchannels - that were not signal related, since my Samsung SIR-T165 could pick them up.

9. nightfly85

nightfly85 Mentor

Oct 6, 2005
    I have my 622 and my FusionHDTV 5 PCI card in my HTPC in the same room being fed from the same wineguard 1-4 splitter/amp.

As I move through the OTA channels on the 622 vs the fusionHDTV card, the 622 reports signal strengths weaker than the fusion card by no less than 10db often much more. There is no difference in the signal that both receivers get, even down to cable length. Clearly the fusion ATSC reciver is far superior to the 622. I can note that the 622 OTA is margainlly better than the 942 version.

In either case, signals below 57-58 drop out the channels and it becomes unwatchable. And one point of interest, although I haven't tried alot, with the signal strength differences, one would think that I could lock a channel easier with the fusion card than the 622, say when the signal is margainal on the 622, but this hasn't been the case.

10. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005

You cannot compare the sig strength meter readings between your 622 and Fusion Card. They do not use the same scales. Any comparison is meaningless. The 622s meter is a sig quality meter, not a simple db meter.

11. whatchel1

whatchel1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2006
    What are your refering to as electrical interference? In most cases the problems w/ ATSC is multipath not electrcal?

12. rkh

rkh Mentor

Mar 18, 2005
    Raised my antenna about 3 feet yesterday, didn't help much with the channel I'm having issues with -- Fox 2 (58.1 digital) out of Detroit. I did see some improvement with some of the other Detroit stations (up to 5 points on whatever scale the 622 is displaying).

13. bshockley

bshockley New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    I can't comment on the 622 yet, but I can comment on my ATSC experiences in general.

First ATSC tuner was a MyHD-100 card that I bought about 4 years ago. I in college (Lawrence, KS) and would pick up certain KC channels perfect, other's not at all with amplified indoor UHF/VHF antenna. Then with a small outdoor UHF only antenna, stuck on the roof of my apartment building pointing to Topeka KS, I'd get CBS (and hence final Four basketball :D ) Anyway, I always found overcast days gave me to best reception on the Topeka station, while just moving the bunny ears to random locations got me other stations.

Now I am using a Samsung STR-351 with just an indoor amplified UHF/VHF antenna in St. Louis (I'm actually in St. Charles, MO). Again, I have had to learn what spots around my TV pick up what stations. CBS, on the 2nd stair down behind the TV, ABC, right smack in the middle on top of the TV, fox, usually on a longer coax hanging off my curtain pole in front of the window. I have even learned to use Alum foil to help block out multipath. works fairly well.

I am really looking forward to local HD over satellite. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.