1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA recomendations

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by shadough, Sep 29, 2009.

1. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    Right now, I'm using an old Terk ant., the kind that curves around and snaps onto a satelite dish (primarily a single lnb dish). Which requires power from a sat rcvr. Its actually in my attic. I get my local channels fine, what I want are the locals from nearby Baltimore. I live in NorthernVa. B-more is about 60-70 miles I guess but I've always been able to watch b-more channels, even as a kid, w/ a roof ANT. Even this Terk was able to pull them in 'analog', albiet w/ a lil bit of snow. Now its the digital age, an w/ this same setup, I am able to get ABC an FOX, an 50% of the time NBC, but I need CBS (which comes in every once in awhile) for Ravens games. Now antennaeweb.org recommended the following: http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...gard-PR-9032-UHF-Prostar-1000-Antenna-(PR9032), a Winegard PR 9032. Do I really need this monstrosity on my roof? Based on the low grade ANT I'm currently using, in my attic no less.

Additionally, the tuner I'm currently using is Magnavox TB110MW9. Probably not the best tuner either. I hear good things about the Dish network DTV Pal. So perhaps upgrade to a better tuner an a decent ANT on the roof (we live kinda up on a hill). Just looking for some recommendations.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Are any of your channels VHF? Keep in mind that many channels moved frequencies with the digital transition in June. If so, then the antenna you linked to, which is UHF-only, won't work. If all you need is UHF, and if they are coming from a vary narrow angle, then the linked antenna would work.

Your best bet would be to go to http://www.tvfool.com and post a plot here. Then we can have a better idea of what your needs are likely to be.

3. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
  4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You could probably get away with a bow-tie UHF panel antenna, which would probably get the VHF-hi without too much of a problem. Still, those Baltimore channels are pretty weak from where you are...