1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA Rercording Quality?

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by Woodo68, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Woodo68

Woodo68 Cool Member

Sep 18, 2005
    Hi Guys,

I'm a long time Dishnetwork customer who just bought a Sony 55" HDTV. I am really impressed with the quality of the Over Air brodcast here in the LA, CA area. Does the 942 receiver degrade the quality of the brodcast signal in anyway. I would be using the HDMI input to my TV. Also how does the quality of DishNetwork HD compare to Over Air Brodcast HD? I hope to be getting a 942 in the next week or two.

Thanks,

Woodo

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Welcome Woodo!!! You are right in neck of the woods. Glad to see another fellow OC person.

My understanding is Dish's Dish receivers record the stream as is coming from both OTA digital and the SAT. My understanding is that Dish passes through HD content from their sources without degrading the quality. (I don't see any difference from OTA and Dish deliver y on CBS for example).

Now there is some options in the receiver that allows you to select a output resolution. You can output at 1080i, 720p, and 480p. The Dish receviers do not have the concept of native pass through so depending on what type of content is being delivered and the settings used for output there can be quality lost.

If you do a search on here, there is a lot of threads talking about picture quality and it should give you some idea of what people are experiencing.

3. jbjsm

jbjsm Cool Member

May 15, 2005
    Woodo, I live in the LA,CA area and have a new Sony XS 55" HD RPTV with the Dish 942. I receive 24 OTA the digital channels using the 942 tuner and 14 digital channels using the ATSC tuner in the Sony. Also, the HD PQ on the 942 OTA tuner is better than the Sony. I live about 14 miles from Mt Wilson without a direct view of the transmitters, so I don't know what your signal quality or strength will be, but the OTA HD tuner in the 942 is definitely better than the Sony's. Hope this helps.

4. Bichon

Bichon Godfather

Jun 5, 2003
    I believe you are mistaken. Dish stat-muxes three high def channels onto each 8PSK transponder - only two will fit without additional compression.

5. Woodo68

Woodo68 Cool Member

Sep 18, 2005
    Great, I receive a bunch of digital channels with the TV. The only ones I watch are.

28.1 (Your Tax Dollars At Work)
    50.1 (Your Tax Dollars At Work)

If the 942 OTA receiver is as good as the sony I will be very happy.

Woodo

6. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    This keeps shifting from what I have read, but I believe Dish is not Muxing 3 per transponder with all their HD. As to what really happens at the source, that was my understanding but I could be wrong. It also could be channel specific and my information may be dated. Hopefully someone watching this stuff closely will pipe in with the details.

7. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Dish does NOTHING to the OTA digital channels other record and pass them through. That's what the original question was about. Sat HD channels, yes, but not OTA HD channels.

8. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Interesting Mark. I did do a visual on my CBS OTA vs Dish's CBS-HD and I could not see a difference. This was with my 811 and a my Sony GWII.

Looks like we wondered off a bit on the orginal question a bit. So are you saying Mark all HD that Dish gets is not what is passed to them but is reprocessed? If this is the case any idea of the differences in what you get from OTA vs. what you get on Dish. I did a visual comparison on CBS-HD and OTA-HD and I could not tell any difference. My test was by no means scientific though.

9. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Of course the satellite HD channels are "reprocessed" just like the satellite SD channels are. OTA channels are not because they are received and passed through by the receiver.

The fact that you can't see a difference between your CBS OTA and CBS-HD off of Dish means that Dish is doing a good job with the compression. From what I've read, Dish usually sends the 1080i HD channels our way between 12 and 17 MB/s, where "uncompressed" 1080i OTA HD is slightly more than 19.3 MB/s.

10. zephyr

zephyr Legend

Jun 25, 2005
    The OTA tuner in the 942 is not as good as the OTA tuner in the Sony DHG-HDD250 (and HDD500) receiver/DVR. That is a standalone box just released in May. I do not know how that Sony tuner compares to the tuner built into their 55" TV.

If your Sony TV has a menu screen that shows both signal strength and signal quality (the HDD does), check the signal quality of the stations you care about. The 942 has a hard time with 'below normal' signal quality. Edit: the problem is on a station where the digital channel broadcasts on 2. I do not have any problem with digital channels that broadcast in the UHF range. Antennaweb.org can show what the digital broadcast channels are for your local stations.

I am passing this along because the only way I was able to do a comparison was to purchase both the Sony box and the Dish box, planning to resell one of them based on OTA performance. I have not decided, because I have not exhausted every OTA reception parameter (antenna location, etc.); but the Sony is definitely the winner so far.

BTW, whatever the compression, satellite HD looks great on the 942. So far haven't been able to get a waiver to get CBS-HD by satellite.