1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

OTA/Sat Combiner and Splitter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by 1ClemsonTiger, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1ClemsonTiger

1ClemsonTiger New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    So...I upgraded to the HR20 from my HR10-250 and have run into a problem with my "master plan" to clean up my home theater wiring. While trying to use a combiner/splitter for OTA and Sat feeds, I determined that the combiners/splitters are apparently filtering my high frequency (>50) local OTA frequencies.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this setup given the apparent filtering of the high frequencies?

Thank you!

2. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    If you mean diplexers, if they are the correct ones they should not be filtering out the high frequencies. But it's a moot point anyway, because diplexing will not work once DirecTV10 launches in early July and starts transmitting signals which come from the LNB in the b-band. That frequency band overlaps OTA and so your diplexing will fail. You need to run a separate coax from your OTA antenna, through an OTA splitter or distribution amplifier, with separate OTA cables to your receivers.

3. John4924

John4924 Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Or wait for SWM [Single Wire Multiswitch] later this year [3Q to 4Q]. There is a thread in the CE forum where some forum members are testing this device...

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=81489&page=37

It "may" work out that you will be able to get this device shortly after the new satellite goes operational.

Cheers,
    John

4. 1ClemsonTiger

1ClemsonTiger New Member

Jun 16, 2007

Thank you for your insight.

5. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    Put your BBC converters after your Multi-switch and the diplexers after that.

Look at this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=88202

6. 1ClemsonTiger

1ClemsonTiger New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Many thanks for the info. So, let me get this straight...BBC Converters are the same as the b-band converters that came in my HR20 box? If so, is your suggested setup going to work once DTV starts transmitting the new content later this year? Just trying to determine if this is a short-term fix or if it will work in the long-run.

Also, why would one diplexer work better than another if they are rated for the same frequencies? With that said, is the CM pair compatible with the upcoming transmissions?

Sorry for the "basic" questions...thank you for your help.

7. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    There is a 99.9% chance that diplexing OTA will stop once D10 starts transmitting. It won't matter where you put the BBCs.

8. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    And that is based upon what information? The B-Band converters move the sat freqs that are being transmitted in the same freq as OTA to freqs that are not where OTA is.

9. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    Diplexers take out gain. The CMs take out less. If it is short-term solution the all you are out is about 20 bucks. The SWM switch will be out shortly after the new satellite begins transmissions. It is provides a means for diplexing OTA "out of the box"

10. RobertE

RobertE DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 9, 2006
    Thats what I'm being told by D*.

11. 1ClemsonTiger

1ClemsonTiger New Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Any feel for how successful I will be with frequencies in the 50-65 range using the CM pair? These are the ones I was losing with my other diplexers.

Also, what is the expected cost of the SWM switch?

Again, thank you!

12. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006

just try it and see. It was the best 20 bucks that i have spent in a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.