1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA Signals Affected by Solar Burp?

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by SayWhat?, Mar 8, 2012.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I seem to be having trouble getting OTA signals I usually don't have trouble getting.

Can't figure out if it's the rain and low clouds, the CME, a combination of the two or something else.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    The effects of CME on TV signals would be to cause interfering signals from 500-1500 miles skip off the ionosphere and cause local signals to be corrupted.

You can check this site to see real time info on that: http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

3. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    OTA TV signals should not be affected by the CME.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Well, I don't what it is if it isn't atmospheric.

I pulled the antenna down and checked everything and reseated the coax connectors. Made a couple of changes including adding another 5' of mast. Antenna is now about 50' AGL or somewhere around 400' AMSL.

I can get stations from farther and with a weaker signal than my target station, but they're UHF and the target is VHF. This all started about a week or less ago. Prior to that, I could get the target station fine most of the day. It would flake out at times or in heavy weather.

I guess the mast mounted amp could be going bad.

5. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Might have gotten it resolved.

The portion of the signal amp that's inside the house has a Gain adjustment. I fiddled with that a bit and I have a much better signal with most of the lost channels returning. I've had problems with rheostats before where the internal contacts get dirty electrically (remember the old tunable radios?) Spinning it a few times lock to lock tends to clear the junk and let it make a better contact.

I don't know if it will last, but I'll keep an eye on prices and grab a new amp if I find a sale.