1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA Splitting question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Steve9060, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve9060

Steve9060 Mentor

Jul 25, 2006
    Ok, I have a DTV with no hi def locals (waiting on HR20); I get all my locals via OTA through my HR10 except the one (CBS) my favorite team will play on Sundays.

Interestingly enough, if I plug my Antenna cable directly into my TV this channel comes in, (my HR10 OTA tuner shows about a 16- 20 signal strength on the HR10 but seems to come in ok in my limited testing on my Sony KDFE50A10 50 built in tuner though I would love to know what the differential is as to how strong the signal is on my TV).

So my question is what would be the best way to split the signal so I can run a line from my antenna directly into my TV AND my HR10 so I can record the locals I do get? Will this effect my overall signal strength?
    Do standard cable splitters work here? Can I put a signal booster inline without getting on the roof?

I don’t want to go crazy because the HR20 is around the corner, but don’t mind spending a few bucks to alleviate the aggravation of watching my team in SD and switching cables between commercials.
    Thanks in advance!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Yes, standard "cable TV" splitters will work fine. You will lose a bit of signal strength, though. Just try it and see if it affects any of your other channels on the HR10-250 or on the TV's tuner.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    My experience is with analog signals you may see a channel degrade but with the digital signal there is minimal change in signal when a 2way splitter is used. Be careful in saying a cable splitter a true cable splitter dosen't pass the UHF frequencies, you want a splitter that passes 5-1000MHz.

4. Steve9060

Steve9060 Mentor

Jul 25, 2006
    Great thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.