1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OTA Timers - not firing and not showing in Daily schedule

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by PittsbuRgh R, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1 of 177
    PittsbuRgh R

PittsbuRgh R Mentor

Jan 21, 2005
    Don't know if this is a bug with 6.18 or not. Mid-day yesterday my all my OTA timers stopped recording. All the timers remain in the timer list. OTA reception is fine for the channels. However, none of the OTA timers appear in the daily schedule and none of the shows are recording. I attempted setting up a new OTA timer as a test for a couple of shows 1) selecting "all" - only the show selected to set the timer was indicated as recording - subsequent airings of the show had no indicators - i.e. no circle with an x or the ota bubble indicating as recording, 2) timer set up yesterday was no longer in the daily schedule this a.m.

Tried soft reboot, power cord reboot, and check switch which had no effect.

Software version L618RBDDN
    Bootstrap 1710RBDD

2. Mar 20, 2009 #2 of 177
    pghDave3017

pghDave3017 Cool Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I seem to be having the same / worse problem.

My OTA timers disappeared from the daily schedule too. They do appear to be in the timer list but I guess are not getting matched as no events show under the OTA timers. I redid them and they showed briefly in the daily events but now, 24 hours later, they're gone again.

3. Mar 23, 2009 #3 of 177
    gregleg

gregleg AllStar

Jan 4, 2004
    I'm having this problem as well on both my 722 and 622 -- my OTA timers just disappear. I tried deleting the timers, deleting and rescanning the OTA timers, and then adding the timers again, but that doesn't help. Also did a hard reboot on the 622 just in case, but that didn't help this issue (it was also acting odd in other ways, the reboot did help those at least)

My 722 has 6.17, haven't checked the 622 yet.

Guess I'm filing a complaint to Dish, for all the good that'll do...

4. Mar 23, 2009 #4 of 177
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I don't understand your comment. While some CSR's are seemingly more knowledgeable than others, I've never had a Tech not work to resolve a problem.

5. Mar 23, 2009 #5 of 177
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Are all three of you guys in the same area? If so.. Wonder if something from the OTA side was changed that has caused the issue. Anyone check the AVSForums for your area to see if anything was changed recently upstream. Based on the posts, looks like it is not L6.18 related and it seems it might be a localized issue.

6. Mar 23, 2009 #6 of 177
    pghDave3017

pghDave3017 Cool Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Pretty interesting that the only noise on this problem is coming from three Pittsburgh-area customers.

I guess quite likely there's something up with the local OTA data in the guide. I say this because I see that IF I make my timer events time based as opposed to content based they do NOT disappear. So if I set an OTA timer to fire every Monday at 9pm on the OTA Fox channel I will get 24 to record. However if I select 24 from the guide on the OTA channel and set it to record new (all for that matter) it's only a matter of time before the timer event disappears.

Btw, I'm still at v 6.17 so we can rule out 6.18 and I've been at 6.17 for a while before this problem occurred so it's something about the guide data or OTA programming information.

I can't quite fathom what the issue is but I'd have to guess some data representation issue. My only other guess is that Dish is an Arizona Cardinals fan and we're being punished for our SuperBowl victory?? (ALthough I think Dish still has a large support organization based outside of Pgh??)

I don't use the OTA timers too much other than to capture events on a very busy recording night (and they don't happen that often). So I've not been particularly tempted yet to deal with a call to support.

7. Mar 23, 2009 #7 of 177
    Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Try setting an all episode timer and see what happens. Also set an dish Pass and see if timers show up. will be an interesting data point.

Do you have local Sat HDs? If so, do you see the same thing occur. My guess at this point is something in the OTA stream has changed and confused the DVRs. It has happened in the past.

8. Mar 23, 2009 #8 of 177
    pghDave3017

pghDave3017 Cool Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I do have Local HD channels and timers fire and work fine on the local HDs.

I've set an ALL eplisodes timer and I'll see if it disappears soon.

I did try a Dish Pass previously and similarly the OTS events disappeared. I may try the Dish Pass test again as I might have screwed that up.

So you're guessing that something's changed in the local OTA streams that's not causing the timers to fire on specific events? Is it "normal" for a single local markets OTA streams to change?

9. Mar 23, 2009 #9 of 177
    PittsbuRgh R

PittsbuRgh R Mentor

Jan 21, 2005
    Tried a dish pass timer (picked a ABC show that I don't watch) - interesting result - dish pass doesn't even show the pgh ABC OTA channel (004-01) but does show the Johnstown OTA channel that I can occassional receive since I am on the east side of the city. Tried setting up a couple of additional timers for Johnstown OTA for kicks (Fox and ABC) and seem to be fine.

Have tried the "all episodes" and only the very first show will appear in the timer list and will vanish the next day.

I Do have local sat HD's - no problems with those timers.

10. Mar 24, 2009 #10 of 177
    ChuckA

ChuckA Hall Of Fame

Feb 7, 2006
    Since the problem is only on OTA, just for fun try deleting and re-scanning your OTA channels to see if that makes any difference. Just something else to try.

11. Mar 24, 2009 #11 of 177
    tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    Note that sometimes when PSIP info changes and I had to readd any ota channel, I have had to delete and add my timers for that channel in order to get my OTA to record. I do that automatically now whenever I have a problem. Sometimes the timer actually dissappears on its own in that case.

12. Mar 26, 2009 #12 of 177
    pghDave3017

pghDave3017 Cool Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I deleted all my OTA timers. Deleted all my OTA channels and rescanned them and then recreated my OTA timers. The OTA timers based on guide information new/all/etc quickly dropped from the schedule again. The OTA timers created weekly/M-F continued to work.

Not sure what's been broken but it's broken. I guess I'll wait (sort of) patiently and see if this problem spreads to other markets or if they change back whatever they changed or whatever.

This is an annoyance for sure but I can work around. But the audio drops are another story but that's another thread.

13. Mar 26, 2009 #13 of 177
    Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    While you wait, you might want to contact your local station and see if there were any changes. The odd thing. I ran into a thread Yesterday talking about some issues with OTA issue on a Pitt DMA. Can't seem to locate it know but I did see it here. I thought perhaps there was some relationship. If i find it I will post the link.

Given how this problem was described. I think the next step I would suggest is contact your local station and inquire if anything has been changed in regards to the OTA signal. Equipment upgrade, firmware upgrade, any configuration changes. etc.

14. Mar 26, 2009 #14 of 177
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Have you done a hard reboot of the receiver after 6.18 was installed?

15. Mar 26, 2009 #15 of 177
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Ron,

It's really quite a short link. :grin:

Page up. :lol:

16. Mar 26, 2009 #16 of 177
    pghDave3017

pghDave3017 Cool Member

Mar 20, 2009
    In response to the question above, yes there have been several hard, power cord resets along the way.

I'm not sure who would be less prepared to have the technical discussion on any changes to the OTA broadcast signal ... me or whoever answers the phone at the local stations. I'm guessing I could hold my own with the receptionist but not gain any information. If I get transferred to engineering I think I'd just not understand the information. I think my best hope is in some miracle occurring and the timers returning to normal operation. ;-)

17. Mar 27, 2009 #17 of 177
    pghDave3017

pghDave3017 Cool Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I was upgraded to 6.18 overnight.

I hard booted this morning and my time-based OTA timers were still there after the boot. I then set a "new episodes" event for sunday night on an OTA channel and so far it's still showing in the daily schedule.

So for me, moving to 6.18 may have fixed the problem. I'll not be convinced until I see the new epi timer last a few more days but some reason to be optimistic.

18. Mar 28, 2009 #18 of 177
    Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Well lets hope that fixed it... Strange given the symptoms. Perhaps the act of taking a software update was enough to reset something to get them working again. Very strange, but glad to hear it has been restored. Updates us if that is not the case.

19. Mar 28, 2009 #19 of 177
    pghDave3017

pghDave3017 Cool Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Always good to trust the old adage if it's too good to be true then it's probably not.

It just took a little longer but the "new epi" OTA timer has now disappeared from daily events so I guess the problem was not fixed by accident.

Whatever the issue is still persists. So hard to imagine that this remains a Pittsburgh locals only issue. Others really are using event-based OTA recording in other markets and not seeing the problem. Not that I'd expect it to hit all markets but it's just odd (to me) that the Pgh OTA signals would be unique in such a bad way.

20. Mar 28, 2009 #20 of 177
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    So what did Dish say when you called and told them that you (and others from the Pitt area) were having this problem?