1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

OTA with DSR550

Discussion in 'VoomTalk.Com (Closed Forum)' started by Blitzer544, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Blitzer544

Blitzer544 New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    Can you receive OTA HD on the DSR550 without a subscription to VOOM?

2. jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    I asked this before and was told no -- and someone confirmed that without the VOOM signal coming in, they couldn't get anything OTA.

However, later, someone else said that they could if you removed the splitter box from the back and ran the OTA in by itself. I asked them to confirm that and they never replied.

Oh -- what the heck -- I'll go test this right now since I have VOOM now... BRB...

- John...

3. jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    Ok -- that seemed to work. I pulled the satellite feed and just ran the antenna in -- and it was still able to tune it.

That was WITH an activated card though. If I pull the card, the unit won't pass the "no card" screen no matter what I do. If I had a deactivated card, I'm not sure if it would allow OTA viewing or not -- you might just get a "not yet activated" message that you can't get past. I can't easily test that, of course.

- John...