DBSTalk Forum banner

OTA

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Beerstalker 
#1 ·
I have a SWM16 with a HR34, three H25's and 1 HR24. I would like to add OTA to all of the receivers so that I can watch OTA on all of the receivers.

Would a AM21 to the HR34 would add OTA channels to all of the receivers or how do I add a OTA antenna to the SWM16 so all of the receivers would get OTA channels.

Thanks

#4 ·
The 3 H25s can set a recording from there receiver to record the antenna feed off the HR34 then you can watch it as its recording almost like live (with full trickplay) as long as you set a recording first. (of course you are limited to 2 OTA tuners with the HR34 but even recording 2 OTA you still have an additional 3 SAT tuners left)

I did have to run the AM-21 setup once on each H25 though so the OTA channels would appear in the guide so they can set recordings remotely like SAT channels.

Now I do not think you could set recordings from the HR24 to the HR34 though since it won't allow you choose which receiver to record from like the H25.

This is personally how I have mine setup with the AM-21 on the HR34 and the H25s can set a recording then begin watching the OTA feed.

Now I should say in my DMA all the OTA channels that I would ever want to record on including sub channels are in the AM-21 OTA database with full guide data. Some markets will vary...

#5 ·
jordanhallmann said:
I have a SWM16 with a HR34, three H25's and 1 HR24. I would like to add OTA to all of the receivers so that I can watch OTA on all of the receivers.

Would a AM21 to the HR34 would add OTA channels to all of the receivers or how do I add a OTA antenna to the SWM16 so all of the receivers would get OTA channels.

Thanks
You can diplex OTA onto a SWM system... but not with Whole Home DECA. It (OTA onto SWM, not with DECA) works, but is not a supported setup.

With your present setup, you will have to either run a separate coax to each AM21 or TV, or swap out the SWM16 for multiple SWM8's or a SWM32 to diplex OTA. (and forgo DECA Whole Home).

As stated, the SWM16 does not have OTA.
I have a pair of SWM8's (which do have OTA) connected via an E2 Expander. The OTA signal is split and fed into each SWM8, and diplexed out at each HR20 or AM21. Each receiver is ethernet'd to an ported wireless extender for VOD. I do not have Whole Home, but do not need it since all are HDDVR's. (I could add Whole Home through ethernet. It would work, but again, is not supported).

#6 ·
Do you really need the ability to watch live OTA channels on all your receivers? If so then you would need an AM21 for each of them.

However, it would be much cheaper if you just bought one AM21 and hooked it up to either your HR24 or HR34 and used them to record all the shows you wanted off the OTA channels. Then you could watch those OTA recordings on any of your receivers over Whole Home DVR.

#7 ·
If I understand the upcoming technology correctly, the new C-31 client boxes (to be released in September), when paired with a main HR-34 receiver and a connected AM21N, will allow distribution of all OTA channels to all remote tv's where a client box is used. I have an SWM LNB on my dish, which I believe allows the use of a regular splitter inside the house for coax distribution to the remote tv's, but I'm not completely sure how the coax wiring would be set up.

#8 ·
I believe the C-31s will be able to use the OTA tuners from the AM21 there is one hooked up to the HR34, however there will be a max of 2OTA channels that can be watched at any one time since the AM21 only has 2 tuners in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.