1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ouch, my Brain Hurts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bingo123, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bingo123

Bingo123 Mentor

Jul 6, 2007
    So I've been reading here for about a week, getting prepared for my HR20-700S (HD/DVR) and 5LNB dish to be installed this afternoon (hhmmm, it's 2:38 pm, no sign of the Sub...? He'll show up at 4:59pm probably). Anyway, I just bought a brand new Samsung LNT-4661F 46" LCD TV (resolution 1920x1080) to watch my new satellite signal on.

The HR20 will be connected to 3 SD TV sets in different rooms via an RF Modulator and home star-wiring. The RF Modulator is a "Channel Plus" brand made by MultiPlex Technology Inc in SoCal. It was the RF Mod box I was supplied with at move-in. I live alone, so I have no need to watch different channels in different rooms. I don't have an OTA antenna.

The more I read here, the more confuseder I get. Native, stretch, 720p, 480, etc etc. HALP! :confused: Can someone suggest the optimal settings I should set my HR20 and Sammy TV to?

Also, do I need to upgrade the RF Mod box to something more recent (the one I have is 7 years old....). Or won't that make any difference anyway?

Any suggestions given will be tried out, reported back on, and most of.....extremely WELCOME!!

PS--if it weren't for this forum, I'd be totally in the dark.....

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    You have many different settings you can try. We all can make recomendations but ultimately you should end up with what ever looks/works best for you. You purchased a very good TV, therefore I would go with "native on" and check all resolutions. Your set will do the necessary scaling and adjust resolutions as necessary.
    You will find a lot of very good advice here from some very knowlegable people. Don't be bashfull, ask questions, none are foolish.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Modulator technology hasn't changed much recently. Some models offer S-VHS inputs which may provide a better picture. Audio may be problematic if your modulator doesn't support stereo. Multiplex Technology offers an MTS add-on encoder gizmo for stereo.

The display modes issue is going to be the reason that you give serious consideration to getting another receiver.

4. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Rf mod should work fine.. all outputs are active on HR20's..

5. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
  6. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    Good luck and enjoy and as far as settings go it is what looks best to you as all of our eyes are different and all our setups are different just play with it and see what you like

7. Bingo123

Bingo123 Mentor

Jul 6, 2007
    In 2 words: Frustration and Disaster.

The HR20-700 is defective. It won't pick up any local HD channels without freezing up, requiring a reset. It picks up other D* HD channels, but not the locals.

ALSO, the HDMI port is defective.

I had a very smart technician who really knew his stuff, so that wasn't the problem. But he told me he's installed 5 HR20's in the last 3 days, and EVERY ONE is defective in some way. So now I wonder if it's even worth going forward with this crap. Except that I bought this Sammy LCD TV, on which an SD signal looks like crap.

The problem is I bought this HR20 from Best Buy, and paid $300 for it. That was before I got on this forum and found that I could get one from D* for cheaper. So now, will Best Buy take it back after it's been opened? Can I exchange it? Who knows. I'll find out tomorrow.

I truly barely know where to go from here. I see weeks and weeks of frustration ahead of me, which I just don't have time for.

The tech suggested hooking up separate HD receiver and DVR unit. Seems like a pain in the butt.

I'm sorry I started down this road. For a total of $3500, what I have now is a WORSE TV picture, and frustration. :( :( :( :(

8. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Sorry you are having problems. Some Samsung sets have been known to have HDMI compatibility issues, did you try component? I don't know if Best Buy will exchange it, I think the replacement will have to come from D*. The "tech" should have arranged for the replacement for you. If it is not picking up HD locals I would suspect dish alignment, this could also cause some of the locking up problems. Also, I would be a little suspect of your installer who had five defective HR20's in a row. I don't think so. The HR20 is a good machine, but it NEEDS to be properly installed. Bad installs caouse most of the problems people have, IMHO. Possibly your set may not handle 480i, VIA HDMI.

9. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    This is not typical at all. Not one bit. The HR20 is not failing at that kind of rate in properly installed environments. Something is wrong, perhaps with the way the installers are setting up the environments.

Good luck and sorry you're having problems,
    Tom

10. Bingo123

Bingo123 Mentor

Jul 6, 2007
    First question: can you receive an HD signal over component connections? I thought only an HDMI connection would give you true HD. And yes, I have heard that some Sammy's have trouble with HDMI, so I'm wondering if that's it. However, we still couldn't pick up the HD signal, even over the component connections. Receiver still froze up requiring RBR.

Second question: I was on the phone with D* while the tech was here. The D* "CS" rep ( a term I use loosely) said I'd have to take it back to BB. I'll try that tomorrow, but if BB refuses it, I'll scream at D* until they fix the situation.

Third question: What is the phone number for D* "Customer Retention?" I don't think I should have to pay and pay and pay to get THEIR OWN equipment working.

Thanks so much for your answers. Sorry if I seem a little 'tense.' :eek2:

Also: I live in the Dallas area. I would GLADLY pay for someone who KNOWS what he is doing, to come over to my house and install this thing correctly. I don't want to have to go through 5 installers to find one who knows how to install. Any suggestions?

11. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Component cables will handle HD perfectly, but you will have to run audio as well.
    "If" the tuner is bad, swap it out yourself. The set up is quite straight forward. You will have to call D* to deactivate the old HR20 and to activate the repalcement. I don't know that I would scream although I have been close a time or two. D* CSR's are usually pretty good, but they don't have much control of what happens in the field. When you get a receiver up and running, check your signal strenght on all sats, post them here and ask if they look good. They should all be in the 90's and up. Like Tom said, they are not failing at that rate if properly installed.

12. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I think your installer actually just sounded like he knew his game. No way are they DOA that much. I have seen about 7 HR20s installed in the last six months at my place and at friends and the only issues were when the installer didn't know he had to download the latest software and another one where DirecTV screwed up the authorization from the central office.

13. Bingo123

Bingo123 Mentor

Jul 6, 2007
    Yeah, I beginning to wonder now if the installer really knew what he is doing. I'm really green at this stuff, so a person who knows ANYTHING at all is going to sound knowledgable.

Question is, how do I find someone--referred by D* or NOT--who knows how to install this thing right the first time? The 5LNB is in...I just need the receiver hooked up to the TV properly......

14. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I gotta disagree on that many bad units being impossible. I lived through worse and I just saw my friend go through 3 DOAs on an installation at his home. Two wouldn't power-up at all, and the other had a dead Tuner 2. He's now waiting on a good one.

I know, I know...I'm being too mean again.

15. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Knowing what I know now I would ask for, and insist upon, a field supervisor. Otherwise setting the tuner up is really quite easy. Actually basic installation instructions are in the manual. The trick is was your dish aimed properly? It took a third attempt on mine before it was right, and it still could be a bit better.
    I would take your exsisting HR20, unplug it for a few minutes, hook it to your set with component, turn it on and make sure it aquires the sats. I would check signal strenght before all else. 90% or better on all sats(you will get some zeros on some transponders, thats OK)If your signals are low, especially 99 or 103 (one of these two are your local HD) you will not get your HD locals. The dish needs to be re aimed.

16. Bingo123

Bingo123 Mentor

Jul 6, 2007
    I think I'll try this tomorrow, when the sun is up and I've had my coffee. I'll check the signals and report here. If the dish does need to be re-aimed, I guess I have to get a D* installer out here for that? I'm in my 40's, so I guess I won't be climbing on the roof any time soon.....:D

17. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    If it is off I would let D* do it, they need to fix what was never right in the first place, assuming the dish is off. Would be nice to have those years back again, but it is only a number, I just painted my tile roof...

Good luck, enjoy the coffee.

18. L2BENGTREK

L2BENGTREK Godfather

May 31, 2006
    Hang in there, you'll figure it out. Davring brought up some good points. Sometimes the problems people have are not a defective piece of equipment at all. The inability to do certain resolutions over HDMI is a good one. Also the ability to accept HDMI from the HR20 at all is another I've heard alot of. Just depends on the model of TV. Kinda like "why doesn't my burn't CD play in this player, but it will in this other one? No rhyme or reason, it just happens that way.

I felt the same way you did when I did my jump to big screen HDTV about 6 months ago. I went through 2 different models of TV's, Driving the girlfriend crazy, staying up till 2am every night trying to get the right picture settings. If it had not been the fact that I had already sold my old stuff and had the basement ripped apart, I would have probably returned it all and went back to my 27" Panasonic and SD signal and been done with it. But like you, I pretty much was at a point of no return. It took me a month to get everything back to normal. New furniture pieces and everything! But I learned alot from these guys and guys over at the AVS forum. After you get done pulling your hair out, you'll be happy you did it.

I didn't know about the whole "SD will not be great on you new TV" also. That's where the 2 different models of TV's came into play...Finding a model that displayed at least a decent SD picture.

A Sony SXRD KDS-50A2000 fit the bill for me. I'm very happy with it.

OK, I'm done now!! :D

P.S. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that in addition to all this, the local contractor here for D* took a month and a half to get me my HD upgrade. Talk about frustrating! I borrowed a friend's OTA antenna for the HD locals to tide me over!

19. TriggerDeems

TriggerDeems Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    I would be shocked if BB took it back, since it is a lease from D* once activated it becomes an issue between D* and you. If they take it back, it would be from a CSR at BB who either doesn't know the rules, or is really really sympathetic. But before you do that, lets try some other possibilities....

Your installer should never have left before it was all fixed, and from what I see of your situation--the day was obviously getting late, and he might not have wanted to stick around and fix it--so he blames the machine and leaves (obviously only one possibility, and I wasn't there, but certainly a possibility).

If he used existing lines in the house, it could be those (old RG-59 cable if the house is old, or any cable that has been split with a splitter to run to separate rooms are both killers, or any cable with a bad connector on the end). He is permitted to use existing lines, and often they work, but sometimes they don't.

It could be a misaligned dish. My Dish was only finally aimed precisely by me following instructions I got from the web--they got it close, but I was able to get it maybe 10% better.

It could be it needs the firmware loaded (if it never got that far on its own)--try to go to menu/setup/restart recorder and when the first screen shows up, type 0,2,4,6,8,enter on your remote and let it reload the firmware.

Try a menu/setup/reset everything.

Try to pull the plug, wait a few minutes, plug it back in.

Definitely try component cables, as HDMI is not a standardized capability among various makers, so there are often compatability issues (sometimes that get fixed by new firmware for the involved pieces--see how to do it for the HR20 above).

20. JFHughes08088

JFHughes08088 Godfather

Mar 24, 2007
    I had the exact same problem. HD was fine except for HD locals. Those channels would pixilate or not come in at all. I had a tech come out (called 1 day, came the next morning), realign the dish and everything has been good since then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.