1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our Local Blockbuster Video Store Is Closing

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CraigerCSM, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

I read that they may file for bankruptcy. I will be using DirecTV Cinema more. 2012 and Planet 51 premier next month. I rented The Time Travelers Wive and Surrogates on DirecTV Cinema both were just ok.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    One word...Netflix.

3. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

Their are some months that I don't rent movies.

4. Chop69

Chop69 Legend

Aug 11, 2007
    For me, Blockbuster Online has trumped Netflix because of the in-store exchanges. Its nice to not always have to wait a couple days for a movie. Now if my local Blockbusters (we have 3 withing a short drive) were to close, I probably would switch to Netflix for the online streaming.

5. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    In order for me to use DirecTV Cinema (as it is now implemented/priced) all the following would need to happen:
    • All local Hollywood video stores close (This is well on the way to happening)
    • All local Blockbuster video stores would have to close (Hasn't even started, but sounds like a possibility)
    • Redbox disappears (no opinion)
    • Netflix disappears (looks very unlikely at least for now)
    • Hollywood produces something worth succombing to the ridiculous DirecTV Cinema rules for (might happen 2-3 times each year)

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    There were a few things Blockbuster did for a while that I liked. At one point you could see if a movie was in stock at the store online, order it, then go to the store to pick it up like you can at Best Buy. Except in this case you also had a special line, so you didn't have to wait. They got rid of that.

I used BB Online when you could return a movie at the store, get an instore dvd and be mailed your next queue disk. They got rid of that, and I've rarely been back. Every once in a while I'll get something from Redbox, but generally Netflix. I find their service to be reliable, and I've figured out the method to as much guarantee getting a new release as soon as possible, so it's worked well.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.