1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of Market Local

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by propertool, Sep 17, 2011.

1. propertool

propertool New Member

Sep 17, 2011
    I am looking into getting Dish service in Pottsboro, TX. Reseller told me I would be getting local stations from Sherman, TX.

There is one independent station, KTXA, out of Dallas I would like to get. I currently get this station on my cable service. KTXA is provided as a local channel in the Dallas market.

Is this possible?

2. Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis Godfather

Dec 28, 2003
    The short answer is that is possible, but not likely to happen.

The long answer is that there is a provision in the rules that allows satellite companies to offer "significantly-viewed" out-of-market stations and KTXA is on the significantly-viewed list for your county. However, DISH had been prohibited by a court order from offering out-of-market stations for about five years now. They've been in the process of fixing that and someone else can probably tell us whether the process is done.

However, even if they do have the right to offer the service, there's no guarantee they will do so. Requests from customers will likely play a role in those decisions.

3. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Did you go to the Dish website and just check? Put in your zip code and you will see exactly what you will get. I see all Sherman. There are no "Special Requests...."

By the way only three networks are in HD.

4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    The only out of market channel you will get is ch60 the national PBS feed. KTXA CH21.1 is a UHF broadcast and should be receivable from Pottsboro but you will need a good TV antenna and a pre amp..:):):)
    75076 zip code on www.tvfool.com shows you to be 83 miles from the broadcast towers. If the sports are that important I'd estimate $150=200 to get you up and running. CH 21.1 actually is CH29.

5. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Have you looked into OTA?

6. gtal98

gtal98 Godfather

Jan 30, 2011
    Just so you know even in Dallas KTXA is not carried in HD by Dish. If you want to get it in HD OTA would be your only way.

7. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    I lived in Dallas several years ago. KTXA comes from the broadcast towers on Cedar Hill, which is located west of I-35E on I-20. The combination of Cedar Hill, and the height of the towers, provide a great line of sight and distance for signals to travel. Hence why virtually all of Dallas and Fort Worth TV/Radio stations have their transmitter on Cedar Hill.

At one time, Sherman was considered part of the Dallas DMA, because it lacked access to all network affiliates. So, stations like WFAA (ABC), KTVT (now CBS, was an independent), KXAS (NBC) and KDFW (FOX, was CBS) was receivable in Sherman. This was helped by the fact that these stations, plus KERA (PBS) were VHF stations and carried a much stronger signal. KTXA, KDAF, KDFI, et. al. were UHF stations and their signal barely made it to Denton, let alone Sherman.

Today, all the former Dallas VHF (4, 5, 8, 11, 13) stations actually broadcast on the UHF band and their signal carries far less a distance. So, either a very good antenna is needed (though it may not work), or cable/satellite is needed to received any channels from Dallas in Sherman.

As KTXA is not affiliated with any network, you could ask them for a waiver letter to receive the channel via satellite (Sherman is in the same Spot beam as Dallas). This may be enough fro DISH to get past the court restrictions concerning distant locals; that is, there is not network exclusivity conflicts. But, this is a long shot, but worth trying.

8. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Just to correct you VHF channels 8/9 & 11 are active in Dallas and CH 12 is used in Sherman. CH 21 and CBS 11 are owned by the same corporation and 21 gets a lot of overflow sports and news from CH11.