1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outage in SoCal?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Variant, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Variant

Variant Cool Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Started getting warnings on my directv about signal and such. Reset the box (R15) and now, although I'm seeing 90% signal strength on both my tuners it won't link up to the satellite (101[A]).

I have another, older DirecTV receiver and it's not able to link up either though it's also showing strong signal....

No bad weather (though it is hot) and my dish looks to be in the same position it's always been...

Very weird.

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    What kind of dish/lnb are you using?
    Any multiswitches in line?

3. Variant

Variant Cool Member

Sep 16, 2004
    I believe it's a "Phase I" (round and only one LNB). Not sure on the multiswitch as I haven't dealt with this before. The coax does run into the house and gets split off to a few different locations.

I'll poke around and see what I can find.

4. Variant

Variant Cool Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Looks like I have a Zinwell 3402.

Noticed it is fairly warm to the touch (not sure if this is normal or not). I disconnected to the two input wires from the dish and will reattach shortly to see if anything "resets".

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    All your signals on 101 appear good, but you are getting a 771 error? Thats very odd. All I could suggest would be to take a 7/16 wrench, and loosen and then retighten the coax connectors on the INPUT to the multiswitch, if its affecting all receivers. If that doesnt help, you might have to check the connections on the LNB as well. Thats the only suggestion I can come up with. Since you have a multiswitch, you should have a dual output LNB, and if the LNB was bad, I would think it would read LOW, HIGH, LOW, HIGH etc on the signal meter.

6. Variant

Variant Cool Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Hmm... looks like there's also an Aspen 3x4 DTV3X4 outside right below the dish. Two of its three outputs in use run into the house to the other multiswitch. The 3rd drops down and enters the wall below the TV/cable box.

No power supply on this one, but I guess I'll try disconnecting it as well.

7. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    How many receivers do you have, just the DVR and the other one? If thats the case, Im curious why they are cascading multiswitches.

8. Variant

Variant Cool Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Yes, I do have only two receivers... but I'm renting the place and hard to say what the previous tenants were up to. The other cable appears to go into the garage, so maybe it was for a TV out there.

Here are my signal strengths:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(This is after reconnecting the inside multiswitch. About to go fiddle with the outside one).

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Ok, your problem is one of the two outputs on the LNB isnt making it to the receiver. Take the two cables from the dish, to the first multiswitch and swap them, and see if the 0's swap. It appears from those screen shots, as if one output of your LNB burned up. To confirm, you can test the voltage on the coax at the lnb. If you have 13V on one, and 18V on the other, then your LNB burned out. If one of the coax cables at the LNB doesnt have any voltage, or they are both the same voltage, then one of the multiswitches probably failed.

10. Variant

Variant Cool Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Will do.

But this doesn't look very good:

[​IMG].

Not sure how long this cable has been in this shape...

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    No, that certainly looks bad. Hopefully you can get it repaired without having to snake new cables through the wall.

12. Variant

Variant Cool Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Well, I measured the voltage between the multiswitch on the inside of the house and the coax inputs (inputs from sat).

I got 18V for the 18V input and 11-12V for the 13V one.

I guess this tells me the indoor multiswitch is OK? I'll have to test the outside stuff tomorrow -- too dark right now.

Many thanks.

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    You are on the right track. Good luck.

14. Variant

Variant Cool Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Well after disconnecting the (indoor) multiswitch completely for a while and reconnecting it, everything is once again working fine.

So let's see if the multiswitch overheats again and things stop working. Maybe that frayed cable is causing a short (in the short term I straightened it as much as possible and put electrical tape on it) since it seems odd a completely unpowered multiswitch would overheat...

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    It sure could cause the receiver to put out more current than necessary. Im not so sure it the multiswitch overheating as the cable itself there. Only way to tell is to wait until it fails again, hopefully during the day, and trace the voltage backwards from the LNB.

Its totally possible the LNB overheated due to the weather, and cooled down at night. If it overheats again tomorrow, at least you will have a good easy check. Personally, if both your current boxes are running off the inside multiswitch, Id remove the outside switch completely, and just use a ground block or barrel connectors to tie the two input lines to the two lines running to the inside switch.

16. Variant

Variant Cool Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Well it went out again after 10-15 minutes or so.

I'll pull the outside multiswitch tomorrow morning and work on repairing that frayed coax cable.

17. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Sounds like a plan. Just remember to unplug the receivers first, so you dont become the short. Im not sure how long those receivers protection circuits can handle being shorted out without damage.

18. Variant

Variant Cool Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Sorry to keep bumping the thread... learning as I go here. :)

Seems that it's primarily whatever's connected to the second coaxial port on my R15 that fails. As soon as I unplug the cable from the second port, the picture comes back on and seems to stay on. Even if I swap the cables.

Wouldn't this seem to point at the receiver? Perhaps that port sending out bogus voltage?

I have a Samsung SIR-S4040R Tivo a friend gave me I could hook up -- though I'd have to get my card reactivated I guess.

Also, I'm interested in what the purpose is of the two voltages (13V and 18V) and how the splitter plays into things. Does the receiver put out voltage at a certain level to indicate what channels it wishes to receive?

19. Variant

Variant Cool Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Answering myself here...

13V appears to be for the "odd" transponders and 18V for the "even" transponders.

So, using only Tuner 1, I'm able to get signal on both even/odd transponders just fine. Only Tuner 2 appears to be giving problems.

Maybe somehow Tuner 2's misbehaving would have affected my other, older receiver as it was connected via the same multilink....

The frayed cable is certainly not good, but I'd think if it were causing the problem I'd be unable to get half of the transponders on Tuner 1...

20. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Sorry, Im in Central time, and fell asleep :)

Yea, its possible it could be the receiver. You wouldnt have to reactivate the other receiver to test it, since you should be able to get to the signal strength screens without a subscription. Both tuners on the DVR are independent. They both should be putting out the 13v or 18v down the coax, telling the multiswitch which polarity they are needing. Now if tuner 2 isnt putting out ANY voltage for one polarity, that would cause your symptoms, but should not affect the other box. Im going to go out on a limb and say your multiswitch is bad. Since you only really need one for your setup, why not remove the outside one (use barrel connectors or a ground block to join the two coaxes from the lnb to the inside multiswitch), then you will have a spare switch. If you still have problems, swap the inside switch with the one you removed from the outside. Assuming here both your boxes (three tuners) are running off the inside multiswitch. If they are running off the outside switch, then eliminate the inside switch.