1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Outside of Locals, what other new HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ggalindo, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ggalindo

ggalindo New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    Sorry for the noob post, but I have searched and really cannot find an answer to this. I saw that by 2007, 150 "national" HD channels are planned, but I'm not sure if that is referring to actual HD channels that I and everyone else can get, or if they are network broadcast channels that I will only receive my locals.

Basically, I have the HD10 DVR and have HD waivers for 2 of the 4 broadcast stations. The other 2 networks I receive 90+% of the time OTA, so I do not have an urgent need to upgrade, unless with the rollout they are adding other HD (non OTA network) channels. Complicating this is that getting to my dish is a nightmare and I would just as soon not mess around with trying to replace it if I do not have to.

Does anybody know what non-network HD channels are planned and the approximate timeframe (January 2006 v sometime late in 2007!). I'm sure that is the million dollar question, but if anybody has M4 right now and they have added non-network channels, I would be very interested in knowing. I just cannot imagine in my situation that it would be worth upgrading until there is a significant amount of new HD programming.

2. DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY Legend

Nov 8, 2004

No problem! I asked the same question a while back and one of the folks here said that HGTV/Food Network would be going HD in January. Beyond that, I don't know of any others right now. Like you, unless they add a bunch of channels with the MPEG4 conversion, it may not be worth the upgrade. It IS free however so I may buckle anyway.

3. Coastsider

Coastsider DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 29, 2005
    The National Geographic channel has been running those lower right hand corner tags about their HD channel being available soon and I sorta kinda remember reading somewhere that DirecTV might be adding it to their HD package lineup. It would be a good start towards more good HD content. If this is true, it seems likely it would be on the 110 for now so everyone with the HD pack could get it.

Anyone else heard of this possibility?

4. scrannel

scrannel Cool Member

Dec 28, 2005
    I'm in the Los Angeles area and spoke with DirecTV today (not that they know what they're talking about) and they claim the upgrade is a primarily for the locals (which I already get anyway). Then mentioned nothing else at the moment. Only thing that would make me upgrade is PBS. I only watch the locals for news anyway and most ot that footage is not HD.

5. scooby2

scooby2 AllStar

Nov 29, 2005
    There will probably be a few new this year but dont expect much until the new Ka satellites (directv10 and directv11) go up in 2007.

6. 94SupraTT

94SupraTT AllStar

Nov 18, 2005

MPEG2 or MPEG4?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.