1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Overnight Buffer Question for HR-34 Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Michael - AZ, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Hello everyone,

I just recently (1 month ago) got a free upgrade to a whole home system, which included an HR-34 and a Mini Client. Also in the network is my previously owned HR-24.

My question is:

Prior to my whole home system, when I turned my system off at night and left the TV on a specific station, when I turned the system on in the morning, my HR-24 DVR came up with the same station as the night before and there was a full 90 minute buffer (obviously, this only occurred when I did not have two programs recording during the night at the same time).

On the new Genie, when I turn the system off at night, I would have thought that I would get the same 90 minute buffer when I turned the system on in the morning. So far, I seem to be getting a buffer about 1 time in 10. Does anyone have any information on why this may be happening? Since the Genie can handle 5 recordings at once, I have never exceeded this, so I would expect to get a buffer in the morning on the same channel that was on when I turned the system off. However, when I turn my system on, there is no buffer at all.

Maybe there is some setting that I have not yet set on my new Genie. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Mike :)

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Nope, no setting missed. it is by design. if you want the buffer, you need to record the show

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Something that is low maintenance and sure fire: Set a Series Link for a morning show you want the buffer to be on, and extend it by three hours. Set it to keep one episode. That way you'll always have a "buffer substitute" on the channel you choose. For one off changes, set a recording as Peds says.

4. Michael - AZ

Michael - AZ New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Thanks guys. Seems like I didn't overlook anything. Guess it's just the way the HR-34 is designed. I'll just have to remember to record something in the morning for several hours so that I can fast forward through the morning commercials.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Remember that logically when you had only 2 tuners having the last 90 minute buffer on the last watched channel was pretty easy to do. Now there are 5 tuners and the logic becomes much different. That is why you only get the buffer 1 out of 10 times. If you truly left it on a channel overnight, and nothing recorded or downloaded from Directv overnight, you would still have that 90 minute buffer.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    By extension, that would mean that all tuners are involved in buffering, just as they were with the HR2x. No difference there.

Logically, the chance that the tuner you're interested in would be needed for other tasks is REDUCED by a factor of 2.5. Logic doesn't support the anecdotal results.

7. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Both tuners are not buffered on the HR2x series....only the active one.....unless you turn on double play.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Nothing to remember. See post 3.

9. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    From my observations over the past several months with a HR34 and a Mini-client is that, just like the HR2X DVRs, there is one tuner that is always buffering. However, unlike the HR2X DVRs, the Genie has the possibility of a tuner being used by a remote client. As a result, all tuners seem to be in a "pool" from which they are assigned for use (including on the Genie itself), apparently at random. This means that sometimes you'll get the "currently buffering" tuner when you turn on the device, and sometimes you don't. I've gotten a buffered tuner on both the mini-client and the Genie at times. It also appears that it takes some time (several minutes) for a tuner to go back into the pool. Until it does, turning the device back on will default you back to the same tuner (ie. the same channel with a full buffer). After a while, though, turning the Genie or the mini-client back on will give you a different tuner (no buffer and sometimes a different channel).