1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overnight mail

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Mar 29, 2011.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    ...from Maryland to New Hampshire: US Post office $13.35. UPS $32.

In the late 1990s, I used to joke that it was cheapest to send overnight mail via the Post Office because, since they always failed to deliver it on time, it was free due to the refund, but their performance improved tremendously a few years later. Looks like I'll be going back to US Postal Service for overnight unless they fail me again.

2. chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Flat Rate boxes are great too....2-3 day shipping time and no weight limit its a great way to ship for around $9-$14....USPS has really improved regarding shipping. Now if they would just not put junk mail in my mailbox, they'd be perfect!:lol:

3. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    If it wasn't for junk mail, I'd never see my postal carrier..

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    My carrier is cute and she wears shorts and keeps her door open most of the time, so I subscribe to junk mail. I'm working on mounting a motion or light-activated 'spy' camera inside my street-side mailbox! :D

5. markfp

markfp Legend

Mar 9, 2010
    If it wasn't for the money the the Postal Service makes off of junk mail postage for a letter would probably be a buck and a half.

6. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I recently bought the coolest pocket tool known to man shipped from Hong Kong for 36 cents shipping for a single unit. How in hell can they afford to do that?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280567957071&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

About 20 years ago, I bought two of this same tool off the "dollar table" at a Bradley's department store. The only difference was, that earlier model was gift boxed and chrome plated. I kept one and gave the other to a good friend. It became my alltime favorite pocket tool, and when I lost it a couple years later, I made my friend give his back to me. I didn't feel guilty about that because he wasn't worthy of it. A year after that, I lost that second one and had been despondent ever since.

But about a month ago, I bought some junk item on eBay and instead of paying for it immediately, I browsed through the seller's store and found this miracle tool, so I ordered five and was pleased to see that they are made of stainless steel, and that they come in a vinyl pouch so that they can be carried in a credit card slot in a wallet without cutting into the leather. I just reordered 20 of them, and I am going to see what it will cost to have my company name and phone number printed on the vinyl pouch and if it is affordable, I might order a few hundred more.

7. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Looking at the item, it appears to be punched out by a punch press. (I used to work as a tool and die maker until about 12 years ago). The actual die setup can cost a few thousand, but once it is all set up, you can punch out a couple hundred an hour. Problem is, if it is stainless steel, they are probably using D2 tool steel hardened to a 58-62 Rockwell hardness, and even then, stainless steel is a ***** to punch out and machine.

8. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I can't think of the last time I sent something via overnight mail. On the other hand, I use US Priority mail several times a year.