1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

own/lease and Upgrade Boxes?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rynorama, May 17, 2010.

1. rynorama

rynorama AllStar

Feb 11, 2010
    1. How do I know which receivers I own and which I lease?
    2. If I get the MRV, does this mean I must be upgraded to SWiM to get DECA?
    3. If I get upgraded to SWiM can I still use any "old" boxes?
    4. "IF" I would need upgraded Equipment what are the odds I would get a H24? This would allow me to use my R22 on my other HDTV

This is what I have
    Slimline3
    D10-300
    D10-300
    D10
    D10
    HR22-100 w/73" Mitsubishi HDTV
    PHILIPS DSR708
    R15-300 w/32" Sylvania HDTV
    R22-100 w/26" Westinghouse HDTV

2. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Well you can't tell which specific ones you own or lease but you can find out how many are set as owned without calling in. Look at your bill count the number of additional receiver fees vs leased receiver fees. If you don't have a primary leased receiver fee then your primary receiver is owned. Other than that all you can do is call in and ask.

If you upgrade to MRV all of your non SWM compatible equipment will be swapped out to SWM compatible as you will have to have a SWM.

No you cannot use your old box's with a SWM.

All of the new equipment would be leased.

Chances of you getting an H24 is based on what the tech has however they are prioritized, or should be, for MRV upgrades and new customers.

Yes you could use the R22 on another HD TV but you could do that now as well.

3. Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    You could tell which is owned by reading the "recent activity" section, look for additional receiver description to the left of that will be the access card this receiver uses.

4. rynorama

rynorama AllStar

Feb 11, 2010
    Thanks, they do list access cards next to the leased description but do you know of any other way to see this info?

What I'm seeing is wrong. 3 are listed as leased but I know I own at least one of those. The one that is listed as my primary is my oldest DVR that I had given to me from a friend. The other one is the R15 which I'm not sure about, and my HR22 is listed as leased also. Since that's the newest I guess it would be leased.

5. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If it is wrong there, then it is wrong in DirecTV's systems and you will need to work with them to have it corrected.

6. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    If the receiver was owned, DirecTV's access card department should be able to correct this for you. I just transferred an owned receiver to my parents' account and the CSR had it listed as leased and I had to speak with the access card dept to get it fixed. They should have the history of the box and be able to tell if it was ever owned.

7. rynorama

rynorama AllStar

Feb 11, 2010
    Ok, thanks guys. I'll have to call them i guess.

8. Smuuth

Smuuth Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Whenever you add a receiver to an account, it will be initially be listed as leased. The CSRs who activate receivers can only activate them as leased.

To get it changed to owned, you have to call the access card department and explain why you think it is owned.

♥ If it was a replacement for an owned receiver, it will be owned.
    ♥ If it was originally activated as owned (e.g. on an DIRECTV employee account), it will be owned.
    ♥ If you paid full price for it from DIRECTV, it will be owned.

There are a few other scenarios that will result in a receiver being owned, but by far most of them are leased.

9. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    As far as using the legacy receivers you are beyond what a SWM LNB can handle for tuners so they will have to use 2 SWM8's in parallel or a SWM16. In this situation it is possible to have some receivers on a SWM setup and other on a legacy setup. Obviously only the newer receivers on the SWM setup will be able to MRV but if they do replace equipment with swm compatible versions it should be at the same capability. EG the r15 will be replaced with an r16 and the d10's will be replaced with d12's. If you want those to be able to do MRV you will need to pay for upgrades to HD receivers or DVRs.

I don't know if DirecTV would actually do a mixed install with say a SWM8 and a WB68 in parallel but it is definitely possible to do.

10. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    All SWM or no SWM for an installation from an installer by guidelines. What happens in the field though is up to what the tech is willing to risk on a QC.

11. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    checked with 3 different CSR's - if they replace a owned unit that is not compatible they wil take the owned unit with them and replace it with a leased box

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The D10s and the DSR708 (TiVo) are almost certainly owned. The R15 is likely leased but they were released a couple of months before the lease program started (March 1, 2006), so there is a possibility that it is owned. The others are almost certainly leased.

Yes, to get DECA, you must be upgraded to a SWM system. Since your receiver count is going to require a SWM16, you *might* be able to keep your TiVo, but you'd need to have the others upgraded. They'll be upgraded for free, but owned will become leased, and the old receivers will be taken.

13. rynorama

rynorama AllStar

Feb 11, 2010
    So they take the ones I own and give me leased ones. Something doesn't seem quite right about that. I'm positive the 708 is mine, but it is listed as primary leased receiver. A friend gave it to me after he dropped DTV so I'm sure.

If people say all SWiM or no SWiM how could I keep the TiVo. Just curious, it's not a big issue as it's in a kids room anyway.

Hopefully I can call tomorrow, spent the whole day with the furnace guy messing up.

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The 708 will be owned and even if it was leased, not that it is, they wouldn't want it back.

Just call the access card department they can get it all straightened out.

15. rynorama

rynorama AllStar

Feb 11, 2010
    Is there a separate phone number for this dept ?

16. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    No, you have to call the main number and ask to be transferred.

17. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You own those boxes, but they are obsolete. You can continue to own them and keep them on a shelf in the garage where they will collect dust until you get rid of them, or you can give them to DirecTV in lieu of the up-front lease upgrade fee and DirecTV will lease you modern, compatible receivers. What's the issue?

DirecTV owes you NOTHING for your owned receivers, even though they won't be usable on a SWM system. There was never any guarantee or promise that they would work forever. But they are generously offering to give you a deal. Obviously, it's up to you whether or not to take advantage of that deal, but it's a one-time chance, so decide wisely.

18. rynorama

rynorama AllStar

Feb 11, 2010
    Ah ok, no one said "in lieu of" anything. I just didn't understand why they would take my boxes and I get nothing. Still kinda weird they would even want the old crap though. Just to throw away lol

19. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    A replacement for an owned receiver is only owned if it was replaced under the Protection Plan.

Just to clarify, this is only the case for the MRV upgrade. This enables to get a replacement that will be compatible with SWiM and not have to pay the lease upfront fee as RobertE mentioned.

Basically, they'll take the old receiver so that you can't give it to someone else so they can get a free upgrade. Or so you don't try to get another free upgrade in the future.

- Merg

20. rynorama

rynorama AllStar

Feb 11, 2010
    Called DTV today and got the leased boxes changed to owned.

Asked about the MRV. She ran some numbers by me, told me some of my boxes need adapters so they work. I know they need to be replaced not adapted so I politely declined and told her I might call back after I sleep on it.