1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P153 spooling for the 501 with Caller ID and Search Function

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by John Corn, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Wooooo Hoooooo :righton:
    Its being reported as having a Search and Caller ID. :)

Search also has a history list of search items so that you dont have to retype frequently searched text Seems to search title and discription.

# button on remote brings up search page

* is used to backspace (delete)

0 is used to space

alpha-numeric keypad on remote works well

I personally have not got the upgrade yet, I'm just telling you what I've been reading.

Thank you Dish :)

2. Guest

Don't forget the caller ID, I had posted in the other forum, usually I am the last to get an upgrade but it seems like I am the first this time. Search works well, it is faster than the DP, I have also noticed a FULL 9-Day guide. So far I haven't had any problems with the upgrade, and hope I don't, cause I am ready to make the jump if this doesn't work.

Caller ID works just like the 5000, I really like that feature, too. I don't know if caller ID is recorded on the PVR, I am guessing not, but who knows?

Hope everyone gets the upgrade soon, but I really am looking for the DP upgrade even more, I think that the DP is a much slicker machine, but the 501 is starting to catch up.

3. Guest

Oh, one more thing, the Themes work for the full 9-Days too, much more convient.

Anyone have a job for an out of work IT Technical SAP manager in NY?

4. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    I hear the only thing wrong with the upgrade is that if you do a search it searches ALL Channels no matter if you subscribe to them or not.

So if you search for the TV Show "Cheers" you will find it many times on all the must carry stations.

I am sure this will get fixed in the future.

From what I hear things are looking good, which warrents a "good job" to the folks at Echostar.

5. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm usually in the first group up upgrades, but I don't have mine yet. Maybe tonight...glad to hear that first reports seem positive about it.

6. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    For some reason I have been looking forward to Caller ID, seems nice, guess cause I won't have to get my lazy butt off the couch to answer the phone. :)

7. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I'll be glad to get the caller id on my 501, my other 7 already have it and I miss it when watching the 501.

Kevin

8. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    OMG.....7.....:eek2:
    Kevin, do you have and IRD in every room in your house?
    You kinda made me think of the new Dish commercial that I heard on the radio. :)

9. poeppe

poeppe Legend

Mar 25, 2002
    I am happy to report that P153 also fixes the 1 minute recording bug. (At least the one I knew of 2 back to back recordings with the second one starting 1 minute early, this used to cause the second show to be recorded for only 1 minute)

:goodjob: Kudos to DISH

looks like my signature needs some work :(

10. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I am sticking this thread to the top of the forum mainly for the benefit of people who don't know about the upgrade yet.

11. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Great news poeppe. :)

I've yet to here any repeatable complaints regarding the upgrade as of yet......lets keep our fingers crossed. :)

Mark Lamutt one of our Admins here should be getting the upgrade soon, he usually is one of the early ones to get it, I'll be looking forward to here what Mark has to say.
    :soapbox:

12. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Another thing I always do after a software upgrade is cold boot it.
    Push the Power button in (on the front panel) and hold for 5 sec's this will reset the 501.

Does it help, I don't know. My 501 has been pretty stable.
    Does anyone elese do this?

13. EvanS

EvanS Legend/Supporter

Mar 27, 2002
    I do it more-or-less weekly...and DEFINITELY 1st thing after a s/w update.
    I also do not know if this is THE trick, or am I just lucky...smooth sailing with my 501

14. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    John - I really hope that I don't feel like that smiley on the soapbox after I get the upgrade. I may have it already - forgot to check this morning before I left the house.

15. Guest

When you "hard reset" the 501, it goes to get the program guide for several minutes. Sound familiar?

16. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I don't have the upgrade yet on my 501, so they aren't spooling it based on oldest first. I'll probably get it in the next week or so I'd guess based on previous experience.

17. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    In addition to the front panel reset, I suggest doing a check switch. I tried out the search, and got matches for "Star Trek" that included stations which I was not even able to subscribe to (i.e. STL-A). However, I haven't been able to duplicate it since performing the two actions.

Also, if your show has a hyphen in it, forget it. I tried "Yu Gi Oh", and no matches. The acutal title: "Yu-Gi-Oh".

And themes is still fairly useless. *sigh*Why can't Dish intergate "Search" and "Themes" in conjunction with the "Favorites" list?

18. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Some additional info

Search - includes two methods of input (telephone-like keypad on
    remote or "virtual keyboard" on the screen using arrow keys) and the feature not found on DishPlayer (that I couldn't mention earlier) is that there is a "History" function that remembers your previous searches, so you don't have to retype them each time.
    The search feature only supports up to 15 characters.

One of the other most requested features was added. If you press "CANCEL"during playback of a PVR program, it now accurately reports the time left to the end of the recording.

Caller-ID - if you subscribe to Caller-ID phone service through your
    local phone company, then if you turn on Caller-ID in the menu, you willsee the Caller-ID information displayed on your TV whenever someonecalls.

You can now go directly to the Timer list from the PVR list there is a button marked "Timers" on the right side of the PVR screen.

All the major bugs have been fixed, including recording locked programs not working correctly, timer conflict screen not displayed correctly, timer conflicts not processed accurately, and timers not recording.

19. Guest

I am still at 150, and I have seen this a couple of times...as far as I can tell it has to do with how current my stored guide data is when I do the reboot.

20. EvanS

EvanS Legend/Supporter

Mar 27, 2002
    oops, forgot to logon 1st

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.