1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pacific Northwest "Chile-level" quake risk

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mar 2, 2010 #1 of 22
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I don't believe in creating great fear about natural disasters like earthquakes. They happen and you can't prevent them. But you can be prepared, assuming you are aware of the hazards. What concerns me is that it appears that many on the West Coast are not clear that the greatest earthquake hazard is not a Haiti-like quake in the middle of LA or the Bay Area, but a Chile-like quake creating damage from Northern California to British Columbia.

Unfortunately, many are not aware of this, but from the AP via Yahoo:
    The Cascadia Region Earthquake Workgroup (CREW) has a website and in 2005 prepared a report Cascadia Subduction Zone Earthquakes: A magnitude 9.0 earthquake scenario (PDF) that anyone who lives within 300 miles of the area from the Brooks Peninsula on Vancouver Island to Cape Mendocino should be aware of.

On CREW's site they have links to various sites including a piece on the NY Times website Chilean Quake a Warning to U.S. Northwest that discusses risks in public buildings like schools in Oregon and a piece in USA Today Chilean earthquake hints at dangers of 'Big One' for USA which includes:
    As someone who lives where, off the coast, the Cascadia subduction zone meets the San Andreas Fault and as someone who has been responsible for emergency planning, I am acutely aware of the scenario described in the CREW 2007 tabletop exercise as follows:
    The quake in Haiti was heart-wrenching because of the fact of poverty and inadequate government. But Americans need to pay more attention to the situation in Chile as a learning opportunity.

2. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Thought I'd just bring this thread up quoting an article from today:
    The graphic below is from the Wikipedia article on the 1700 Cascadia earthquake:

[​IMG]

(My home is located within pink shaded area.) From the heavily footnoted article:
    Finally, from an article by By Greg Lange on HistoryLink.org, the free online encyclopedia of Washington State history which uses the creative commons license for its contents:

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Also in that general geographic area - Yellowstone National Park is essentially one "supervolcano" that is also overdue for a big eruption. The last event from this super volcano affected at least half the Continental US - and probably did a nature made "nuclear winter" for a couple years.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    During the years I lived in Oregon and Washington, I never met anyone that wasn't clear on that.

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Not to mention NY City is overdue for both an earthquake AND a Cat 2+ hurricane - the hurricane would have a storm surge out of proportion to storm strength because of the harbor layout - it would just funnel the water up.

6. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    There was a geologist on O'Reilly last night explaining the same thing. He was from Oregon and explained that a quake of that magnitude is expected every 250 - 400 years. So that area is currently well within that time frame.

7. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    On what faultline? We're in the middle of the plate.

8. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    About NYC and earthquakes, we have this article from 2008:
    You would have to be very unfortunate to live in a period when a greater than 6.0 earthquake would happen given the lack of earthquake frequency. But that would be several million very unfortunate people.

9. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Of course, most of us here know about the New Madrid Seismic Zone:

[​IMG]

But for those who don't, you may want to read about the 1811-1812 New Madrid Earthquakes that caused significant effects, reportedly even some sections of the Mississippi River appeared to run backward for a short time. In more recent times:

10. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Yep, I am very aware of the New Madrid fault. Have not felt any earthquakes from it yet, but the possibility is always in the back of my mind.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Over the past few years, I can think of at least two times where people in Cincinnati have felt a quake. The "bigger" of the two I think was from the New Madrid fault area, another last year from Ottawa.

There are a couple of things that could cause huge issues that a lot of people in the US don't know about. A large quake on the New Madrid fault, and a Yellowstone eruption are two of them.

12. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I doubt that Cinci would feel the New Madrid, but there are a number of other zones they might feel. Just recently one rocked Ontario and Michigan.

13. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Did you know that Florida is sinking? Let's not leave out the Eastern Seaboard.

14. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    These are all dwarfed by the 9.2 mega-quake that hit Alaska in 1964. This bad boy had everything, ground liquefaction, rise and subsidence , and it generated a tsunami.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    There's a fault in the middle of Manhattan Island. And there is a bridge there especially built to withstand earthquakes. It's pretty old and in need of massive repairs, but it's there. Can't imagine what a large quake would do there.

Rich

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    There's also that island around southern Spain or northern Africa that is in danger of sliding into the Atlantic. That's what scares most seismologists about the east coast, from what I've read.

Scares hell out of me, I live next to an estuary of the Raritan River and Raritan bay, which opens onto NY harbor. I gotta get out of here.....:lol:

Rich

17. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    My favorite quote from one of the areas damaged in the tsunami:

18. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    This is the subject of "Countdown to Catastrophe: Mega Quake" on NatGeo right now. It will be rebroadcast next Sunday @7:00 am

19. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Something is moving.

A section of highway 1 near Big Sur fell into the ocean yesterday.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_17630392?source=most_viewed

20. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I think this pretty much explains this:
    Highway 1 has been doing this from when it was first being built, almost 100 years ago.