1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Package Clarification

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by kschoon1, May 20, 2011.

1. kschoon1

kschoon1 Cool Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    I currently have the Choice Xtra + HD DVR package and locals. I also have the HD Extra package, Showtime & HBO. This along with a total of (4) receivers - 2 HD DVR's, 1 HD receiver & 1 SD receiver and the protection plan. My package runs $140.00 a month.

What I am trying to figure out is with the new packages Choice Xtra, Choice Ultimate or Premier will I still have to pay for the HD Extra pack? also in the new packages will I be charged an additional fee for DVR service or HD programming? If not it looks as if I could almost switch to Premier for close to the same amount I pay now. My bill breaks down as follows:

Package 82.99
    HBO & Show 27.00
    Protection 5.99
    HD Extra 4.99
    Receivers 18.00
    Tax 1.10
    Total $140.07

For the life of me I couldn't find any clarification of what my total bill will be if I change packages. If everything that I have is included in Premier it would appear that my bill would

Premier 114.99
    Protection 5.99
    HD Extra 4.99
    Receivers 18.00
    Total 143.97 = tax

If this is correct it would appear for about $5.00 more I would receive all channels? Or I could get a few more channels for less if going with the choice Ultimate plan?

If anyone can help clarify things it will be much appreciated!

2. manxiemaxx

manxiemaxx Cool Member

Jul 12, 2009
    You will be charged for HD Extra Pack. Also you will be charged $7.00 for DVR service and $10.00 monthly HD access fee.

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    What manxiemaxx says is true, however you can still save some money.

You can switch to the current Choice Extra package, as it is the exact same as your current package, just without the built in HD Access and DVR Service fees. When you switch to it those fees will automatically turn on you don't neet to add them.

After you have done that go and drop the HD Extra pack. After the page refreshes it should show as being available for 3 months for free. Add it back and you will have it free for 3 months (repeat this process 3 months later to keep getting it for free).

If you are signed up for auto-billpay, or are willing to sign up for it you can call in and ask for the HD Access fee to be waived for 2 years. Most people are able to get this very easily, but you might have to call in a couple different times if you get a CSR who doesn't know how to do it or is in a bad mood. This will save you $10/month for 24 months (many of us suspect that the HD Access fee will be gone permanently by that time anyway).

You can also ask if they have any deals on Showtime, HBO, etc. A lot of the time they are able to give them to you for free for 3 months (can't do that continually like HD Extra pack though).

4. kschoon1

kschoon1 Cool Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    Thank you for the info!!