1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Padding with NBR

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by airpolgas, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. airpolgas

airpolgas Godfather

Aug 12, 2002
    Finally got a receiver with NBR (622).

With the exception of sporting events, are padding neccessary for NBR recordings? Isn't it supposed to adjust to the extended time of the show you want to record, like Lost (or any show ABC decides it can use to piss of DVR users)?

2. jcm.oo

jcm.oo Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    vip 622 has name based recording??

This would be great.

3. airpolgas

airpolgas Godfather

Aug 12, 2002
    I thought it did, but unless you're being sarcastic, which I hope you're not, then I'll double check. It did have an option to record only "New Episodes."

EDIT: Yes it has - PDF File from James's ViP-622 Basics Thread. Check out the column on the left.

4. R_Childress

R_Childress AllStar

Jan 4, 2006
    622 has setting to record with DISH PASS, which is a fancy name for name based and will also adjust time. Mine last week recognized that Invasion started a couple of minutes early and was just short of a full hour. Coming from the piece of crap 921, this is amazing.

5. airpolgas

airpolgas Godfather

Aug 12, 2002
    See? That's what I mean. By telling it to record only new episodes, are the paddings still neccessary. BTW, I told it to record new episodes of 24, and it scheduled a recording this Friday :confused:

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Yes, the 622 has NBR!

7. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    You will need to use Padding on ABC shows. NBR will pickup the show being an hour one night, 1:30 next week, and a 2:00 finale without you doing anything. But that is shifting to a different day, time slot, or length. What ABC does is shorten or lengthen a show by 1, 2, or 3 minutes. DISH choses to ignore the exact minute a program starts or stops and rounds it off to the nearest multiple of 5 minutes. When ABC starts a show at :03, DISH will round that up to :05 in the EPG info and start recording two minutes into the show. If you happen to record the show that preceeds it, you'll find the missing two minutes at the end because eventhough it has a published :03 ending time, DISH treats it as :05. If a show ends at :02, DISH drops the last two minutes of the show (but will include it in the following show if it gets recorded).
    Go to http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/programming_guides/index.shtml and pick All Channels from the drop down and your time zone. Pick Thu (2Mar) night prime time. In front of channel 100, I see NBC with an example of of a show that doesn't fill the 30 minute block - The Office. It has a white spot. If you click on the ER that follows, it says:
    NBC [000]
    March 2: 6:59PM, 6:59PM

NBC-W [242]
    March 2: 9:59PM

You will lose the initial minute of ER without leading padding.

Pick Wed (1Mar) and scroll down to channel 245 (ABC). The white spot is on Barbara Walace because it doesn't fill the block. Lost runs long.
    ABC [245]
    March 1: 7:03PM

ABC-W [246]
    March 1: 10:03PM

In this case, you will get all of Lost (plus two minutes of BW). If it ended at :02, you'd not get any of the ending (without padding).

DISH's implementation of NBR doesn't mean you don't need padding. It does a great job of changes to a show's time - as long as the change happens on a 5 minute boundary.

</RANT>

8. jcm.oo

jcm.oo Legend

Jan 24, 2005

Cool, thanks!

Now only if the 942 had NBR...

9. jcm.oo

jcm.oo Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    Wait a second.

I have it in my head that name based recording would allow me to rename recordings, such as recording something ota that dosen't have guide info. Is that what nbr is? Rename the recording labled Digital Serivce. Name a timer say "Lost" and it shows up in the dvr as lost, even if you don't have guide info.

For some reason I had it in my head that that is what NBR is, plus to be able to record shows based on their names, which is kinda obvious. Am I thinking right?

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Well you can rename existing recordings on th 622 as well, but NBR is at it's root a way of catching programs based on name insetad of time schedules.

11. jcm.oo

jcm.oo Legend

Jan 24, 2005

OK, is there any word if the 942 will ever have this feature.

12. airpolgas

airpolgas Godfather

Aug 12, 2002
    Doh! Although it's a good add-on (NBR), that 5 min round-off kinda defeats the purpose. I have to go back and edit my recording because all of them have 0-0 pads. :(

13. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    You can leave them 0-0 pads and just use the program guide at the DISH web site once a week to look for "white slivers" in prime time for that week. Then double check padding on those. Lost, Desperate Housewives, ... tend to repeat as oddball start/end times. If you pad everything, you may introduce timer conflicts that really only conflict due to padding. That can skip the entire other show (or tie up a tuner) so that you get the padding.

14. PHANTOM_MADMAN

PHANTOM_MADMAN New Member

Jan 16, 2005
    If your talking about the NBR on a 942 they all ready have NBR my 942 has it.

15. airpolgas

airpolgas Godfather

Aug 12, 2002
    ...but if you are talking about being able to rename a recorded show, no. That's only on the 622 (currently). I do wonder how cool it would be to rename the show prior to recording it, like in the schedule window.

16. jcm.oo

jcm.oo Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    Or even on the timer, then youd be done with having to mess with it at all.

17. jcm.oo

jcm.oo Legend

Jan 24, 2005

No, the renaming thing.

18. KKlare

KKlare Godfather

Sep 24, 2004
    My 921 shows some shows, with 0 0 pads, by the prior shows name, like ER and CSI. Info gives the info for the earliest show. One display show 0 60 0 for three shows. You used to be able to slide left and pick one of them. Now all you can do is Start Over and immediately you are in the middle show and info works while playing.

With no way to rename the recording, I have to look inside to find out it is not Office. What a pain.

I have not seen this with non-zero pads but I have no choice with back-to-back recordings.

It seems the shows with overrun are the most popular CSI, ER, and Desparate Housewives. Just trying to get in more commercials.

-Ken

19. Rogueone

Rogueone Hall Of Fame

Jan 29, 2004
    well, if you just got the 622, and since friday's 24 is last week's and this week's 24's, it is sorta new. and if you didn't have the box working monday, it might be that the nbr looks for a flag that it already recorded show #xxxx or something like that. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.