1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painfully slow HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by greenwave, Nov 25, 2012.

1. greenwave

greenwave Legend

Oct 23, 2006
    For the last 2 weeks or so my hr20 has been painfully slow to respond to remote commands, and when scrolling through the guide (at a snails pace) the "cursor" or highlight bar disappears and the guide info data lags several pages behind, so that when the highlight bar returns in the guide it is, for example, highlighting channel 245 but showing info (title, etc) from another channel. I can correct this by moving the highlight bar over to the channel number, and then back to the program listing, but this bug showed up at the same time as the significant slow down so I presume they are related. Any thoughts or ideas as to cause/cure?

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Several things might help.
    1. Go to channel 1 and let it sit there for 1 minute
    2. Menu, Settings, Display, Preferences, Scrolling Effects : OFF
    3. Menu, Settings, Display, Video, Native : OFF
    4. Menu, Settings, Reset, Restart Receiver

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Go to channel 1. Wait for it to load. Using your remote press Red-Red-Blue-Blue-Yellow-Green. Observe NVRAM/Flash is cleared will appear. Should speed up your receiver some.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    You might also have a failing HDD...perform a menu restart receiver and see if it passes the initial receiver self-check.

5. drh

drh Cool Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Do what is outlined below, channel 1 nvram cleaning. If that is ineffective, then if you have a large external drive attached, turn off the hr20, disconnect the external drive and reboot the hr20. Test it to see if the problem is fixed. If so the problem is that the external drive is over 50% full and needs some programs deleted. My 2tb external causes the same slow down for me when it gets much over 50% full.

Does any one else experience this problem?

Dan

6. greenwave

greenwave Legend

Oct 23, 2006
    Did the channel 1 nvram cleaning, which helped marginally if at all, so I did the menu-restart and we are back to (relative) blazing speed responsiveness. we have a 1TB external HDD but we are more than 85% free space. thanks for all the helpful suggestions -- as usual, this forum is a fantastic resource.