1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painless HD upgrade... shocking!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by saleen351, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    D got me all upgraded today with new dish, ran 1 line, , they showed up 1 hour early, did it like a pro and I love my HR20... Time to shop this weekend for the tv..

Maybe D has finally got their install dept figured out..

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    Congrats on the upgrade and glad to hear everything went great. What TV are you looking at? I am actually looking for one myself.

3. Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2005
    Congrats but why just 1 line?

4. Redlinetire

Redlinetire Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I got my upgrade two weeks ago, two guys - two trucks - 40 minutes and no problems.

But people (usually!) don't go to these boards to post how good things are, just to rant about how poorly they think they've been treated.

Not to say that I haven't had installer problems in the past... :D

5. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    He probably already had one line to that room since this install was a upgrade.

6. Philby

Philby AllStar

Jul 25, 2007
    I just got a toshiba 65hm167 about 2 months ago - and I LOVE it. it's 65" of beautiful HD, and only cost me $2200 (you can find it for cheaper, but I paid MSRP since i financed it). It is a DLP so I don't know what exactly you're looking for - but its a great value if you ask me. and you wouldn't believe how much fun it is to show off to people - they're in awe.

I'm super excited for my DirectTV to come next monday - and can't wait until the new HD channels light up in September...plus football in HD!!! I have a feeling I'm gonna have a lot of people at my house this fall....which is fine with me cause I'm not going anywhere saturdays or sundays!!

7. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    Thanks for the reply Philby. I have been looking at the Samsung DLP's and the Sony KDSR70XBR2.

8. Philby

Philby AllStar

Jul 25, 2007
    I was also looking at the Sony's (but the 60"XBR2) and to me the price made the difference. I was also able to compare PQ of both with the Superbowl (they were playing it presumably via DVR when I was shopping) as they were fairly close to each other. Granted these were set on "torch" mode and probably hadn't had any settings tweaked - but I couldn't tell a difference between the Sony XBR or the Tosh - and for 5 extra inches and much less $$ it made sense to me.

I think the Samsungs and the Sonys are both great TVs and have lots of fans - but if you're lookin to save some $$ and don't really care about tweakability (i know the XBR and the higher end sammys can tune each color separately, only available in service menu on tosh) I would recommend taking a look at the Tosh next time your at your local store.

My favorite thing about it is how small the rest of the TV is. The bezel is about 1/4 inch wide and the base is only about 3 inches tall - you don't notice anything about the TV but the screen, which is what you pay the big bucks for anyway!

its also high on the WAF - my girlfriend loves it.

9. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    base? who uses the base :lol:

10. saleen351

saleen351 Godfather

Mar 28, 2006
    When I was a young manager, my boss told me I have to praise and also scold employees, I didn't think he was right, but he was right. So I post the good, the bad and the Ugly.

Not sure what TV i'm getting, probably going to take me a few weeks to pick it out.

11. fwampler

fwampler Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    My 625 went out on Sunday. Took opportunity to upgrade to 622 and was promised Thursday. Wednesday, installer called and canceled. Reason: weren't working in my area. Rescheduled for the following Tuesday. To beat all, our grandkids were staying with us for those days. Will see if they come Tuesday.

12. texasmoose

texasmoose Icon

May 24, 2007
    Why not go for a Projector? I project onto a 120-inch screen, that's big enough to fit four 60-inch plasmas/lcd. It's highly portable and easy to fit in your rig, nothing like seeing all these poor folks @ costco trying to fit those monster TV boxes in their undersized vehicles.:nono2:

I can't wait to watch NFL ST on my monster screen in all of its HD glory!:grin:

13. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    I just got upgraded a week ago. Sort of painless..sort of a PIA. Whomever I spoke with in rention messed up my work order for the installer. Instead of a HR20 the installer was given on his order for a non-dvr HD upgrade. I was like whoa no way I was going from a DVR to a non-dvr receiver. We figured this out half way through the install. He was basically done wiring the install when we figured out the work order was messed up so he had to run more wiring.

I also told the retention rep I was going to need a receiver located to another bedroom and he didn't put it on the work order! Luckily I had a very good installer. He relocated the receiver and did all the wiring for me and gave me a HR20 for a $299 charge. I was able to get Directv to credit the HR20 like they promised too, but I had to email them to get the credit issued. Sort of peeved and I'm happy at the same time since it was painless to get the credit issued..

Whomever I had as an installer should be given a raise. He was really really good.

14. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I'm confused, Fred. Aren't the 625 and 622 E* boxes???

15. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Yup check his past posts here he's an E* sub..:lol:

16. fwampler

fwampler Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    Yep, my bad. He'h. I tend not to think of Dishnetwork as Echo. So Echo is same old, same old. I handle it pretty well though since I don't expect much out of them to start with.

Glad Dish is improving. Is it really? :>

17. Ext 721

Ext 721 Icon

Feb 26, 2007
    Ha. when I came in to installing, I noticed there was a "grandfather" rate for installs, $5 higher than the "senior tech" rate.

I inquired....wages had dropped.

As in, they're paying techs LESS (in dollars) than they used to 5 years ago.

And a dollar won't buy you as much as it did 5 years ago.

When you see a profession in which wages are being reduced every few years, run.:nono:

18. FreddyC

FreddyC Cool Member

May 13, 2007

I actually asked the installer for his boss' number and called them the next business day. Not to complain, but to praise the guy. My installer was very helpful and it's probably not too often that someone will call and actually say they did a great job. My wife and I make a habit of making sure to let someone know when we have had a service performed beyond expectation. Freddy

19. Drako60

Drako60 Cool Member

Jul 29, 2007
    I wish my install had gone so painlessly, i called for a simple upgrade to the 5 LNB dish, and the tech got the order to come out and install an H20, I already had an H20 and BBC just wanted the 5 LNB dish.

After calling them back, getting disconnected, calling them back again, i got an upgrade to the HR20, relocated the H20, and they still missed the 5 LNB dish.

Awesome Tech though, he showed up a day early, corrected the order himself, we had to attach a pole to our old 10 foot C-band dish pole, because the old fence post would hold the 5 LNB Dish, run new coax and everything ourselves, and setup the HR20, but he came back that same day and mounted the dish.

He was willing to do a pole mount himself but they charge $75 to set the pole, and we would have had to wait a day or two because we had a heavy rain the day before and it was still raining off and on, before he could mount the dish.

In the end it took 3 Techs (the first two were a pair), and an extra 3 days, but I got a DVR out of the deal.

Overall great Tech, but CSR needs to work on getting their orders right.

20. binkatl

binkatl AllStar

Jul 27, 2007
    Couldn't agree more... I'm currently waiting for my 3rd installation tech to come out... could have been done yesterday except the CSR forgot to tell them they needed a taller ladder for my house.

Very frustrating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.