1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Papa Johns and Tipping

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Stewart Vernon, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Nov 27, 2012 #1 of 153
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Another thing... I don't like that Papa John's (and other places) charge a $2 delivery fee and NONE of that money goes to the drivers.

I used to tip really well, though I guess not everyone does... but I can't afford to give the driver a $5 tip and pay a $2 delivery charge on a $10 pie!

So... I still give a few dollars to the driver... but I think it is criminal to charge a $2 delivery fee that does NOT go to the driver. Where does that money go?

Everything else involved in making the pizza is the same whether I pick up or they deliver... the ONLY difference is in the delivery driver... so I would be ok if they made a delivery/tip charge mandatory that goes to the driver... but when it goes to Papa instead... I ask myself where is that money going.

2. Nov 27, 2012 #2 of 153
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The drivers are paid. The are not working for tips only.

3. Nov 27, 2012 #3 of 153
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    True, they are paid but they can be paid under minimum wage. It's not unusual for a waiter or waitress to get $10+ in tips, since its usually 15-20% of the total. Based on that, a pizza delivery guy gets $2, and has to pay for gas etc.

I usually tip $4, but admit that if I pay by card and they don't have a pen, I get cranky and drop a dollar. I usually don't order when it's bad weather, but if it starts raining when I wasn't expecting it, the tip goes up.

4. Nov 29, 2012 #4 of 153
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I drove a taxi for 3 months back in the early '70s when we went on a 101 day strike (and got a 1 cent raise out of it) and without tips I would have had to quit. With tips, I made more than I was making before and after the strike. It's easy to say they're paid, but it's not enough.

Rich

5. Dec 3, 2012 #5 of 153
    chevyguy559

chevyguy559 Fresno State Bulldog!

Sep 19, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    A-MEN! I've often argued this over the phone when ordering pizzas, and really the drivers should be the ones upset about this, as it affects their tips negatively. I just moved recently, and moved closer to my favorite pizza place, so I pick up my order now 80% of the time.

6. Dec 3, 2012 #6 of 153
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    About 15 years ago I consulted with a Pizza place on just that thing. I can certainly see the customer perception, but in most cases it's a necessity. When you add delivery into the equation, not only are you paying the drivers hourly wage (versus if someone picks it up), but you also have increased insurance costs that go with having drivers on the road (and car top signs, and hot boxes, etc.). Those costs add up pretty quickly. Now, the establishment could build those costs into the price of the product, but then carry out customers would be footing the bill for delivery customers and they'd complain.

Do you know why Little Caesars Pizza went from nearly 5000 stores in the early 90's to fewer than 2000 stores at the turn of the Century (other than comments about food quality)? It's because they implemented delivery nationwide and the added costs sunk the majority of their franchisees.

7. Dec 3, 2012 #7 of 153
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Hey, they gotta buy them fancy insulated heater bag contraptions for deliveries that they don't use on store pickups.

8. Dec 4, 2012 #8 of 153
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Heck, here's a local chain that charges $2.50, but in their case, they have to pay for their call center.

9. Dec 4, 2012 #9 of 153
    4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    When I was a child in the late 60's, before Domino's, Papa John's, or even Pizza Hut, we lived in a suburb of LA, where a local restaurant chain had pizza delivery. The drivers had a small warming rack in the back of their hatchbacks to keep the pizzas hot.

10. Dec 4, 2012 #10 of 153
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    But I don't believe that is true... Why?

Because they always say VERY clearly in the fine print that the $2 delivery charge does NOT go to the driver.

IF it went towards paying the driver's salary, his insurance, etc... then it would in fact be going to the driver!

But... they are very clear that the delivery charge does not go to the driver... which is why I always ask where it does go if not to the driver.

11. Dec 4, 2012 #11 of 153
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Something is going to the driver ... they are not working only for tips.

Perhaps they put that there so people tip better? (So people do not think of the $2 as "tip included".)

12. Dec 4, 2012 #12 of 153
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    The two dollars goes to Exxon:)

13. Dec 4, 2012 #13 of 153
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Bingo! They could be clearer by saying the $2.00 doesn't go directly to the driver, but it obviously helps offset some of the costs.

14. Dec 5, 2012 #14 of 153
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I'll believe insurance. After all, personal auto insurance usually has disclaimers saying that, other than commuting, you are NOT to use your personal vehicle in yor line of work.

But the lights and bags? *TRIVIAL* one-time expenses. Insurance? That's every month.

15. Dec 5, 2012 #15 of 153
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    They do have to pay the driver.

As someone with a S-I-L/B-I-L who owns a franchised pizza place, I can say that the margins are razor thin and the competition in the pizza space is intense. A competitor drops a coupon and your business could drop 25% just like that. It's a constant battle. So anything they can do to bring in revenue, they will do. Their delivery drivers make like $10/hr but do have to pay for their own gas.

16. Dec 5, 2012 #16 of 153
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    There is a rider for commercial policies called "Hired/Non-owned Auto" and what this rider does is add coverage for when an employee in the course of business uses their own vehicle. This could be as simple as a fast food manager stopping by the night deposit on their way home or as complicated as pizza delivery.

That rider is probably pretty expensive for Papa John's.

17. Dec 5, 2012 #17 of 153
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Some quick Google searches lead me to believe that Papa John's doesn't pay for any insurance for their drivers. There were some stories about that lack in all these pizza delivery jobs a few years ago.

Edit:
    Yep, they don't provide any insurance. Here's a link to the job application for Papa John's, note the crap for delivery drivers.

http://www.nowhiring.com/job-apps/papa-johns-job-application.pdf

18. Dec 5, 2012 #18 of 153
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    To the "they pay the driver" comments...

They don't pay them much, assuming they will get tips... at least at some pizza places... similar to waitresses, paying less assuming they work harder for tips.

Meanwhile.. Papa John's is paying that driver and paying for insurance and such even while the dude is sitting there.

So... if I call up and order a pizza BUT go pick it up myself... they are still paying that driver not to drive...

Unless they literally do not pay the driver until he goes out on a delivery (which I can't believe is true, because who would sit there waiting for possible delivery pay?)...

So... I'm back to where I started... they pay the guy to sit there the same as they pay him to deliver... so why do they need an extra $2 when he goes out on a delivery?

If it goes to the driver, then I support that... but if it goes to "infrastructure" then why don't they need that same surcharge on the pizzas I pick up too? All the infrastructure needs to be paid for whether or not the delivery guy actually goes out on the delivery.

19. Dec 5, 2012 #19 of 153
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I really prefer New York style pizza, both Sicilian and Neapolitan. There are several good pizza places within 5 miles of my home (no delivery), but if in a hurry, I'll go to Little Caesars to pick some up. Domino's, Pizza Hut and Papa John's are at the bottom of my list. I'd rather grab a slice at Sam's or Costco. :D

20. Dec 5, 2012 #20 of 153
    Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Nostalgia time: I remember when I could get a pretty large slice in NYC for a quarter.... It was so much better than the flavored cardboard that was delivered in Wallingford, CT.

Now I am a devotee of Roman style pizza, having had an affair with deep dish pie at Zachary's in Oakland and Berkeley.