1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Paper retracts 150 year old editorial

Discussion in 'The OT' started by dpeters11, Nov 15, 2013.

1. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They originally called the Gettysburg Address "silly words", as we are approaching the 150th anniversary of the event, they issued a retraction.

http://www.pennlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2013/11/a_patriot-news_editorial_retraction_the_gettysburg_address.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Though of course, at the time, the Gettysburg Address was the Edward Everett two hour oration. Lincoln's contribution was "dedicatory remarks"

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    In Spanish there is a saying "Nunca es tarde si la dicha es buena" or better late than never.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Long time ago, I ran the Gettysburg Address thru a grammar checker. That speech Abe gave was rated at a 12th grade level. Gotta be pretty smart to write/speak at that level.

Rich

4. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I expect "Four score and seven years" ago would go over the heads of a 12th grader today if he or she heard the speech for the first time.

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I'll give them a pass for having to look up score, as it's a word generally not used in that sense anymore.

One of my peeves in school was that we had to memorize it. Not that it's hard to memorize, but that were was more focus on rote memorization, not the meaning or why it has become one of the pinnacle speeches in American History.

It's like in Art History class. Sure the Mona Lisa is a nice painting, but what makes it as famous as it is, almost above all other art ever created?

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, I'll agree with that. Kinda sad, isn't it?

Rich

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Carl Sagan would have agreed with you. Took me quite awhile to figure out what it was about. We had to memorize it too.

The very idea of stating the objective of a lesson seems to be beyond most teachers. When I was teaching, the first thing I did was introduce myself, tell the class what the objective of the day was and go on from there. That doesn't seem to happen much anymore.

Rich

8. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    My approach to public speaking, three parts:

- briefly tell 'em what I'm going to say
    - say it
    - briefly tell 'em what I said

If appropriate, my presentations were laced with humor - good for holding audience interest.

9. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The panning: "We pass over the silly remarks of the President. For the credit of the nation we are willing that the veil of oblivion shall be dropped over them, and that they shall be no more repeated or thought of."

President Lincoln himself said: "The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here."

I suppose they both were wrong. :)

In his eulogy of the president in 1965 Senator Charles Sumner said: "The world noted at once what he said, and will never cease to remember it. The battle itself was less important than the speech."

10. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    To lighten the mood, listen to Bob Newhart's bit on Abe Lincoln and the press agent. Dunno if it's on Youtube or not, as I got my copy long ago.

11. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
  12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Public speaking is a lot easier than teaching, I think. Did a lot of both and I preferred speaking for an hour or so to spending 8 hours teaching. But, you make good points. I also encouraged arguments, I think people learn from arguments if they can be properly moderated. I had to go to a 40 hour seminar to learn how to do that (moderate/facilitate) properly and be accredited.

Every seminar or class that was offered, I usually took. Anything to get out of that hideous place I worked.

Rich

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  14. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Impressive field mechanics!
    ["Hey, you, 48th from the left: You're not lined up right!"]

15. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I saw a feature on how they do it, there's an app for that. They take iPads out that tells them exactly where they need to go. They learn a show in about a week.

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I remember doing that before the iPad. :)

17. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Just thought of a new way to do things for a FB stadium: Have everyone with an iPad sit in Section 22 log in to a certain website, which will run a Flash or HTML5 series, the iPads subbing for the cards that used to be held up. You heard it here first!

18. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Me too, but it took more than a week to learn the routine. And we didn't have as many different shows in a year, or as complicated. We didn't form a T-Rex walking down the field to eat a fan of our rival.

19. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
  20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I use to like the watching the halftime shows on TV, but they are seldom shown now during the broadcast. They have ex-jocks analyzing everything, including the water pressure when everyone flushes.

Good thing we have Youtube. Generally at least OSU posts them on their channel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk