1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Parade's End" on HBO This Week!

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Maruuk, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Just a heads up that what looks like a stellar dramatic 5-hour mini-series tour de force is running Tues/Wed/Thurs at 9/6 on HBO this week. The reviews are through the roof. So hard to find compelling dramas anymore.

2. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I'll be recording it. Because the five episodes are airing over three nights, it lends itself to recording an watching episodes spread out which I prefer or watching it all in one marathon as others prefer.

With the screenplay by Tom Stoppard and an utterly superb cast it's hard to imagine not liking it. With that said....

The four related novels were adapted for television by Sir Tom Stoppard for the BBC as a five-part serial, and was first broadcast on BBC Two on 24 August 2012. Here's a BBC description:
    While I'm sure it will be excellent, had it appeared on PBS we likely would be comparing it to other familiar British dramas set in this time period. As one Guardian favorable review noted:
    My intent is to watch it as if it appeared on consecutive Sundays on PBS.

3. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    I love the semi-marathon approach. I hate a Downton that ends after a lousy 1 hr. I want another hour! We watched "House of Cards" in roughly two-hour blocks. Feels about right. More is an overload, less is half a sandwich.

This is such a blessing coming in a general dearth of quality drama after Downton ended and HBO has nothing credible in its Sunday slot right now. And PBS Sunday has that horrid murder mystery crap going on. Good grief, they milk that tripe year round now! Must be cheap to make, the BBC is cutting way back on production funds.