1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents ViP 722 having terrible audio dropouts on local stations in Houston

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by PennHORN, Mar 19, 2009.

1. PennHORN

PennHORN Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    I am pretty sure this has been addressed but wanted to cut to the chase. I am a DirecTV sub and my parents have dish. They have had their ViP722 since the new year and just recently been experiencing a ton of audio dropouts primarily on local affiliate channels. They are pulling these from the satellite and not OTA.

I helped set their system up and have eveything such as the Blu-Ray player and the ViP722 connected to the Onkyo A/V receiver via HDMI. I am planning on going on over tonight to take a look at it.

What solutions if any are there? Do they need a new DVR, do I need to switch the connection to the receiver to component, etc.

Thanks

P.S. I have nothing against Dish and think it is good for both to push each other so we can all enjoy the best programming and pricing possible.

2. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    PennHorn,

Not sure there is a lot one can do if you are getting audio dropouts. Couple things too check.

1) See if you are getting the dropouts through the RCA outputs. If you are then that tells you the dropouts are a result of either the source or the receiver not processing the signal right. Also see if you are getting these because of signal strength. Any video issues happening?

2) Try changing from DD/PCM to PCM only and see if that removes the drop outs. This is not ideal but might provide a work around.

3) There is an audio drop out thread here as people have been reporting audio issues in certain DMAs. Houston was not one of them as far as I am aware.

4) Email Dish Quality if you determine it is in the source.

Given that all was working and now audio dropouts are happening a lot makes me think that something has been hosed in the stream but I could be wrong.

3. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Actually there does seem to be some reports from olguy in Houston regarding drop outs. He mentioned he saw a couple in during a show last night. Guess question is how frequent is this happening?

4. PennHORN

PennHORN Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    Very weird problem. The SD channels audio were fine but the HD channels would output the audio without any dialogue. For instance, when I tuned to the local HD CBS affiliate for the NCAA games you could hear the crowd noise and all of the other sounds you hear during a basketball game but could not hear the announcers. It was actually kind of nice not to hear the yapping of the announcers :)

Solved the issue by hooking up the component cables from the ViP722 to the Onkyo receiver. The receiver outputs via HDMI to their plasma.

The image looks a little softer IMO. Has this issue come up for others? It seems like a software issue is at play. Is there a fix that a tech could come and take care of? My parents switched out their ViP722 and the same problem persisted. I want their HDMI output to work because I believe component does not output 1080p and they would lose out on being able to view PPV in 1080p as it stands now.

If we have to stick with component for the time being, is it worth spending money on more expensive cables or the regular old cheap cables I had work fine. I know for HDMI since its digital it does not matter but component is analog.

5. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Sounds to me that something is not configured right with your HDMI configuration and your DD 5.1. Like perhaps it was outputting on your receiver to DD 2.0 perhaps. I think you have something not configured right on the receiver end. The fact that SD worked (not DD 5.1) makes me think there is something not configured right and is not handling the 5.1 properly.

When you changed?? Where were you getting the audio from to the receiver? Once you used the component, how did it get the audio?

Couple things you might think about. Is there a way to use optical for audio instead of your HDMI. Might want to try that. Did you try turning it to PCM only and then watching the HD channel to see if you got audio. Might be worth trying.

THis to me smells like something is not right with the receiver configuration.. Also the setting that you want to have your receiver at is DD/PCM but PCM only should allow you to test the no DD output with your HD.

As for cables.. how far is your component run. If it is the standard 6' type cable should be fine and getting a more expensive one won't make a difference.

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This really does sound like a configuration problem, but....

Several times over several years I have had shows that the surround audio channel background noises were there but not the main audio channel. This shouldn't occur. Once it was a whole two hour episode of a show on a cable channel that fortunately was repeated without the audio problem, but usually sometime during the show the problem is corrected after commercial break.

Ron is correct about the recent comment about the ongoing audio dropout issue in certain regions including Houston. The issue was, and is, being discussed in several long threads long and Dish is attempting to deal with the problem, with some successes. I haven't had a chance to check clear back, but I do know there was this post from a member in Texas in September 2007. But you haven't mentioned your parents reporting momentary total audio dropouts.

7. PennHORN

PennHORN Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    Thanks for the quick replies. I will check their receiver configurations next time I am over there; however, they had no problems since the beginning of the new year after my brother and I set their system up until 10 days ago. Maybe they accidentally changed a receiver setting but to me that seems unlikely since we have them using a Harmony One universal remote and tried to make things as easy and screw-up proof as possible.

The Dish CSRs had mentioned that there were software issues causing audio problems but if Dish CSRs are anything like DirecTV CSRs I take everything that they say with a grain of salt since at least my experience with DirecTV is that most don't know a damn thing really compared to the average poster on DBStalk.com

8. PennHORN

PennHORN Legend

Sep 12, 2007
    Again, thanks for your help, let me try to answer your questions.

1. Once I switched to component from the ViP722 to the receiver I used the regular old white and red audio cables to hook up the DVR to the Onkyo A/V receiver.

2. If it is not cost prohibitive, I will try optical so that they maintain the PQ from the HDMI.

3. Forgive my ignorance, but what is PCM? I am not familiar with what that means or what to do.

4. The component cables I have are 6ft long so based on your recommendation I should just stick with what I have.

Again, thanks for all the help.

9. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    If it is 6' long and unless there is something bad in the cable I would not expect to see a difference between that and a higher quality cable.

I am not expert in this area, but PCM is another audio output format like DD 5.0 and DD 2.0. DD is for Dolby Digitial. When you use RCA jacks you are outputing PCM I believe.. ( I am sure some Audio guy will come in and bonk me on the head). By setting to PCM only I think it will output PCM to HDMI and you should notice a difference in the sound (You want DD to be enabled but at this point we are troubleshooting).

Like I said. I would suggest pulling the Audio Receiver book out and making sure that you are properly configured. I still feel it is a configuration issue. Also usually there is a indicator of what audio you have turned on. It should see DD 5.1 indication on a lot of the HD channels.

Optical is always a nice backup. But I still am thinking something go changed or perhaps the receivers does not handle DD 5.1 over HDMI?

10. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    The drop outs I had on CSI:NY this week were repeatable. And they were via optical from the 622 to my Onkyo 605. And today I watched a couple of CSI:NY episodes I had on my EHD that were recorded using whatever version we had last November and there were no drop outs. Still haven't watched Old Christine or Gary Unmarried from this week yet. They're in the rotation for tonight.

11. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    So far I believe the experiences in this thread are different than what olguy is having but ofcourse since I have not seen either I could be wrong.

12. mwsmith2

mwsmith2 Legend

Nov 15, 2004
    I am watching last night's CSI:Miami and am getting terrible audio dropouts with the screen winking black in time with the dropouts. I am connected via HDMI to a Denon receiver. Running version 6.18.

13. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Watched last night's Gary Unmarried and had a couple of repeatable dropouts. No video problems. The dropouts occurred on both HDMI to my TV and optical to my Onkyo to my surround speakers. They were noticeably worse on the Onkyo no matter how I set the surround or stereo modes. Pretty much like the old audio problems that some of us have experienced for months now. Just a different channel in my case.

14. garytjia

garytjia New Member

Dec 4, 2006
    I have L618 on my 722. In the last few days, suddenly 2.0 audio signal stopped being passed onto my receiver and I can only hear noise from the subwoofer but no audio through the rest of the speakers. The receiver indicate 2.0 audio, but no audio. When the program goes to 5.0 audio, the sound came back. I usually only watch HD programs and now if we go to a local ad or local program which output 2.0 audio, there is no sound. I talked to Dish tech support and we could not resolve the problem. Does anyone experienced this or have any insight to this issue?

Thanks,