1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partial Recording?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gusjohnson, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gusjohnson

gusjohnson AllStar

Sep 29, 2006
    What's going on when the program you set to record doesn't appear in the list and history says "partial"?

I just got back from a trip, the system appears to be fine, nobody touched it while I was away - but sadly my program (the Office) does not appear.

What's remarkable about this is that my HR20 seems to know which shows I really care about and which I don't - because it records all the unimportant stuff pretty reliably but fails every time it matters. My old DVR(s) couldn't tell the difference - and basically worked every time. In fact, that's one of the things I liked about them - they were so darn reliable compared to VCRs.

This is just getting ridiculous.

But seriously ... I'm curious if anybody has any clues as to what might have happened?

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I got this one time when trying to record the "demo dish install" channel. I wrote it off to "irregular" operation of that channel. I have never seen it since.

3. MarkGreiner

MarkGreiner AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    I also lost my recording of The Office this last Thursday. I had it start one minute early because my R15 had been cutting off the first part of the show. This week, I got that first minute and that was all. Coincidence or conspiracy?

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Usually a "partial" recording means that you either lost power or lost signal do to storms. The Tivo's for example if they lose power and reboot you'll get two partial recordings, one from before the outage and one after. I don't know if the HR20 picks up after a power failure or not.

Basically a decent UPS is your friend and you won't have power outage problems. :)

5. gusjohnson

gusjohnson AllStar

Sep 29, 2006
    Thanks... a good thought but not likely the culprit as my ReplayTV is on the same circuit and had no trouble recording Survivor off D* at the same time.

6. Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave Legend

Apr 2, 2004
    I have seen partial recordings a couple of times during the week I have had the HR20. It is almost certainly a software glitch, not weather related. I live in an area where there are no storms.

The only pattern I have noticed is that I get partial recordings when I attempt to extend the scheduled event. In both incidents, I did not get the end of two scheduled football games. The guide showed them as 3 hour events, I extended the shows ending by +1 1/2 hours but the recordings both ended at about 3 hours and 40 minutes. These happened on different days on different channels.

I am guessing there is a bug in the extender software because manual recording does not work consistently either.

7. Frodtab

Frodtab Legend

Sep 16, 2006
    I've had the same issues with padded recordings. A 3 hour recording padded and extra hour ends at 3:18. The suggestion I received was to record the program after the game on the D* guide, instead of padding the recording. This has worked fine so far for me.

I've also found issues with manual recordings and sports subscriptions as this post notes:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=66538

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.