1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Password help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Dualie, Feb 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dualie

Dualie New Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Yesterday I had the installer come and hook up My new HR20-700 and Sony KDL-40V2500. so far I'm pretty happy with my purchase after pretty much staying up all night fiddling with it seeing what it would do.

Well I HAD to go off to work today. :(

while I was at work my wife decided that she should set the parental controls password on the unit to keep the kids "safe".

Well guess what?

SHE DOESNT REMEBER WHAT SHE SET IT TO!

How do I Reset this now with a password that we can actually can use?

2. BobV

BobV Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    The default pasword is 0000, but if it was changed the only thing that my help is
    a complete reset (clear and delete everything).:confused:

3. Dualie

Dualie New Member

Feb 23, 2007

That's not to bad. its a whole 24 hours old so I really don't have anything to loose do I?

Or am I going to have to set it up? I wasn't here when the installer put the thing in so I would be clueless on how to do that.

4. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    will just have to enter zipcode type stuff and series links.. and write down the password this time :lol:

5. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I belive a CSR can reset your password remotely. You'll have to prove that you are you and not one of your kids. They should ask you for some info that only you know that you gave when you set up your account.

6. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I don't think a complete reset would work. Wouldn't that be something in the firmware?
    Like a password in the BIOS on a PC.

7. BobV

BobV Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    Just in case you need help. To reset the unit , goto menu then setup and reset.
    You will see the options there.

8. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    If it forgets where it is (zipcode) I would have to belive it would forget the parental controls too..

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I think the "RESET EVERYTHING" would purge all of it, but I don't "know" as I haven't tried. Like pulling the battery on your PC. FWIW

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    A reset everything will reset your password. But...it will ask for your password before it does the reset (kinda defeats the purpose if the kids can do a reset and bypass the code huh.)

Your options are:
    1) call D* and jump through the hoops to get it reset.
    2) try all 10000 combinations (will take several days as it increased the dealy between each retry when a wrong code is entered)
    3) pretend your Jack Bauer and interagate your wife to get your code. !Devil_lol

11. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    yes but by the time it resets what ever they wanted to watch will be over :lol:

12. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan New Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I guess will find out pretty soon.

13. Halo

Halo Godfather

Jan 13, 2006
    I won't get specific but let's just say the password is stored nowhere on the receiver.;) Even a reformat won't do anything. Call and a CSR will reset it.

14. poncho

poncho Cool Member

Aug 26, 2006
    yep. i think the password is stored in the access card and the csr will have to send a signal via the sat to zap it clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.