1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Pause and swap live tuners on Hopper?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by ljsss, Dec 30, 2012.

1. ljsss

ljsss Cool Member

Jun 4, 2008
    I was a Dish customer years ago, but have been with DirecTV for the past three years. I am about out of contract and thinking about going to the Hopper system. One feature that I use all the time is pausing and swapping live tuners on one TV. For instance, watching football game "A" on ABC, pausing it and swapping over to ESPN to watch football game "B" for a few minutes (and letting some "commercial time" build up over on game "A"). I will do this and swap back and forth and end up watching both games and fast forwarding through all of the commercials and time-outs. Is this possible on the new Hopper?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Hoppers yes (qualified), Joeys no.

The reason why I say "qualified"... is because you could have Joeys linked to the Hopper that might interfere with some PiP/swap operations.

IF speaking strictly about a single Hopper installation, or when all Joeys are known to be off, then the Hopper should function much like the other Dish dual tuner receivers with regard to swapping and PiP... of course there are 3 SAT tuners in a Hopper + the USB OTA module for an additional single OTA tuner... and you could be using any two of those for your swapping/PiP viewing.

3. ljsss

ljsss Cool Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Thanks for the quick response!