1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pause live tv question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by scoops, Jul 19, 2010.

1. scoops

scoops Cool Member

Jul 10, 2010
    I was wondering if you pause live tv lets say for 10 mins and wanna go back to live tv how do you do it

I was on dish until last week when you paused live tv on dish and wanted to go back to live tv dish had a button that said live tv

How do you do it on direct?

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I can think of two ways. Fast forward or change channels and then go back to the one you were watching.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    You can start playback... and then hold the FF or the Forward Advance (slip button)... and it will jump to the end.

Can't remember which one does to the end vs to the tick, I think it is the FF

4. Spicoli

Spicoli This is only a test...

Jun 7, 2006
    FF to tick & Slip to the end.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Changing channels and flipping right back is the quickest for me.

6. TEN89

TEN89 Legend

Jun 27, 2003
    ummmm hit pause again?

7. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Not sure what you were responding to, but hitting pause doesn't take you back to live tv.

For the OP, I use FF and then Slip/Skip to jump forward to live TV. That way you don't lose the buffer like you would by changing channels (In case you go to live and then decide you want to rewind). If there are any tick marks, you may have to hit Slip/Skip twice. There is no live TV button like Dish or cable DVR's have.

8. TEN89

TEN89 Legend

Jun 27, 2003
    why pause it if hes going go to live tv then? i said that becaues i thought he was going to come back and watch what he missed.

9. ASG82

ASG82 Mentor

Jul 10, 2010
    Sometimes you know when the commercials start that you'll be caught up if you switch back to live.

10. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    OK, makes sense. Although its not live TV if you press pause to restart, since you're watching whats its in the buffer.

11. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I learned something today about this subject.
    If you press and hold the Skip button down it will jump all the way to the end of the recording, no matter how much time it has recorded or been paused.