1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Pay Attention Dish: TV is becoming a wasteland

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by pfred, Apr 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. pfred

pfred Mentor

Feb 8, 2009
    Pay Attention Dish: TV is becoming a wasteland
    I have been a faithful Dish customer for 15 years. I pay about $50 a month, and it is clear that the channels on AT120 are the dregs. I am getting closer and closer to "cutting the cord", but due to a combination of laziness, and lack of knowledge, I am not sure how to implement Netflix , youtube, ... and the rest, right to my living room TV.
    I am grandfatherred in to top 120 without locals, so I can't even get the HBO offer of half price for 6 months because "any programming change requires subscribing to a current package"
    Just venting.

2. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    Dude, a wireless router and a Roku is not that difficult, if I can do it so can you!

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I wouldn't say "dregs"... at least not any more than any other tier. Arguably the better channels are able to get themselves better placement in the lower tiers, so if you aren't liking the lower tier, you probably really don't like the higher tiers.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    It isn't so much the programming tiers that are making Dish unattractive, it's all the add-ons and fees. They're nickle and diming us to death.

5. mike1977

mike1977 Legend

Aug 26, 2005
    Along with the all the channels programming, and inserting popups over shows. I'm hanging by a thread on Dish America.

6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    While cable is beginning to swing back from high hardware costs, everyone is charging a lot for hardware these days. DIRECTV's website app implies that a single HD DVR setup endures their whole home DVR service fee (as part of the $25 Advanced Receiver Fee).

Complaining without offering something to compare against is likely fruitless.

7. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    With a cable-card and my PCs with Media Center software, cable becomes a viable option. Every time I've done the comparison, Dish came out ahead. With this latest round of price hikes, that might not be the case anymore.

8. AED55

AED55 AllStar

Oct 2, 2008
    I have to agree. Seems like a lot of money for what you get. I subscribed to Netflix a couple of years ago and if you're into mostly B movies and TV series repeats it's not too bad for $7.99 a month. You'll need a moderately high speed broadband connection, a wireless router, and a WiFi device that has the Netflix app installed. My Sony BR player came equipped with Netflix and WiFi capability and was a breeze to set up. If you already have broad band capability and a Netflix ready box it might be worth it to give their 30 day free trial a try.