1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pay TV industry loses record number of subscribers

Discussion in 'Cable TV Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    "Moffett believes it's hard to separate the effect of the economy from that of Internet video.

Subscription-TV providers keep raising rates because content providers such as Hollywood studios and sports leagues demand ever higher prices. That's causing a collision with the economic realities of American households."Rising prices for pay TV, coupled with growing availability of lower cost alternatives, add to a toxic mix at a time when disposable income isn't growing," Moffett said."

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

2. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I have to say, when my contract is up with Dish, I may cut the cord also

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Me too. I'm getting really close to cutting my satellite down to the bare minimum subscription (locals with a very small package) and then everything else will be online. Cable and satellite providers are pricing themselves out the market.

4. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I've already done that. :) Netflix, my two WD boxes and D* DVR's always have enough for me to watch.

5. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Well, I had cut the cord for over a year and a half and just went back to the cord because coupled with the huge price increase of Netflix and Comcast (and Fox) slowly but surely killing Hulu, it's a lot harder to get shows online then it was even 6 months ago. So I'm back in the fold of paying for TV.

6. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Discouraging to hear that from you, and too bad. You were actually the one who gave me the idea to cut back on my D* subscription and try a digital media box like my WD Live Plus. I always thought you were going to be the benchmark when it came to IPTV.

I still believe it will be the way in the future however. We will continue to see bumps in the road though, I'm sure, until it all gets sorted out like it has in the music industry.

7. sledgehammer1367066128

sledgehammer1367066128 New Member

Jun 19, 2011

I blame it on the content providers and originators more than the carriers.

8. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    True. The content providers are getting greedy.

The only thing that's hard to ignore are data caps. Right now I'm enjoying unlimited data on my Roadrunner connection but I know sooner or later I'm going to get slammed with data caps which could limit my online viewing. You know it's got to happen sooner or later.

If telco providers were smart, they would start making deals with content providers and hardware manufacturers to come up with monthly plans that don't involve data caps.

9. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Very much like the record labels when music download services were in their infancy. Someone will figure it out in time. There is no way to block IPTV from happening. Broadband will get better, compression schemes will get better and ways to pay for it will get competitive.

I just hope it's sooner rather than later.

10. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    You hit the nail right on the head. I'm still amazed at the compression schemes that have come along just in the past few years.

11. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    I did too. :eek:

But when Comcast is killing IP delivery on purpose it makes it hard to stick with it. For now anyway. I got no problem going back to my HTPC only if given the chance.

12. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    How do you figure that Comcast is killing IP delivery? I watch a ton of movies on Netflix, have two of us on two PCs going all day long and don't even come close to the 250GB cap. IMO, if anyone is using more than that, then there's probably something questionable going on.

13. bonscott87

Jan 21, 2003
    Comcast is killing IP delivery by killing Hulu. Yea movies (almost all older) are available on Netflix, but if you want current TV shows then Hulu is your spot. Since Comcast has bought NBC Universal they have instituted policies such that all shows on SyFy don't show up online (syfy.com or Hulu) until the current season is over. Others like USA are on 30+ day delay. And now they start requiring you have a cable subscription to even view network shows. Fox just joined them last week in this effort.

All this forces people to go back to cable (where Comcast wants you) if you want to see shows even semi close to when they were broadcast.

So Comcast is slowly killing off Hulu. Hulu as it is today won't exist in a year. Probably won't exist at all.

14. Trekkie

Trekkie New Member

May 7, 2007
    If you ever cut the cord with DirecTV make sure you watch everything on the DVR, as it becomes a boat anchor even if you have recorded television on it still.

15. pbsbluejay

pbsbluejay New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    ----------------------------------

Paid TV providers who think holding TV viewers captive to their rising subscription fees and restricting Internet Video/TV viewing will lose. Lifestyles have changed... people are more on the go which explains why the demand for mobile devices with Internet access is on the rise. Some people are not into live TV such as sports or watching rerun movies and have other means to entertainment themselves. Many search the web to find software/apps to download to their laptops, cell phones, tablets, etc., to watch videos, movies, sports, TV shows, news, and other free content from across the globe. So why would paid TV providers think that TV viewers can be held prisoner when they don't control the vast majority of free content over the Internet. If viewers can find one or more of their favorite shows online, they will gladly cut the cord and many have already.

16. bytored

bytored New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    I have been thinking about doing this exact thing for a few months now. Just gotta make the step.

17. oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    Make sure you have all your Ducks lined in a row first
    I have what I be leave is everything I need
    Roku
    XBOX 360
    PC
    Boxee Box
    Indoor amplified Antenna
    6 HDMI's on my receiver

Now I need to wait for my Dish Network contract to expire in a little over 12 months

fireponcoal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.