1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PBS, CW & MyNetworkTV locals in HD?? Any plan?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by syphix, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    So, DirecTV is quickly expanding the LiL's, including CBS, ABC, FOX and NBC HD's in major markets (and now some minor ones), but are they ever planning on going back and adding PBS, CW and MyNetworkTV in HD??

2. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Detroit already has MyNetwork TV in HD. PBS would be cool, but I really don't give a crap about CW.

3. syphix

syphix Hall Of Fame

Jun 23, 2004
    Yeah, I could really care less about CW...but I'd really like PBS.

Are they ever going to add the sub-channels? (like NBC's "WeatherPlus+)

4. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I'd rather see sub-channels eliminated completely than have DirecTV waste precious bandwidth on them.

5. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Here in NY MN and CW are important because Yankees and Mets games are on them. PBS is desirable, if for no other reason, because they generally do a GREAT job of HD transmission. Certainly, WNET here in NY does.

6. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I would bet that DirecTV would play catch-up with CW, MY-TV, and PBS stations in local markets. They'll have the bandwidth, and they'll please many of their customers ...

And I will be able to return my crappy SA-8300HD DVR to Cablevision, which I only have for HD-CW, PBS, and My-9!

7. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I would love to have CW in HD (Supernatural is barely watchable and Smallville is so bad I just wait for the DVDs), but our PBS is not in HD anyway, and I don't even know what a "My Network" is...

8. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Once they get the new sats up I'm sure they will. I'd bet they are just playing concervative right now with the locals. Other issue is the RSN's which take up bandwidth. Once the RSN's go CONUS and D10 and D11 are up there and functioning I think you'll see more of these go up.

Won't in my area since CW and MyNetwork are just subchannels of our NBC and CBS station.

9. zipbags

zipbags Legend

Oct 13, 2005
    Has their been any rumors or talk of the CW in HD in NY (I live in NJ)??

10. Drewg5

Drewg5 Icon

Dec 15, 2006
    St. Louis
    I would love to see PBS over the MPEG4. There HD is the best OTA, so :)

11. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    I think the key for NYC is that D* has to provide two 24/7 HD RSNs- YES and SNNY. Once they go national beam, there's the room to WWOR and WPIX.

As for PBS stations, I still believe the sticking point is that the PBS stations want D* to carry all their sub-channels. While I's like to see the Oklahoma only channel that OETA has here in the Sooner state, I can get it by OTA, so there's no pressing need that I can see for the waste of bandwidth. The other two sub-channels? One is a duplicate of PBS Kids Sprout and the other is the Charlie Rose channel... er, PBS You, which D* dropped over a year ago!

BTW, here's a link to a press release concerning the agreement between the Association of Public Television Stations, PBS and the National Cable Television Association: http://www.ncta.com/ContentView.aspx?hidenavlink=true&type=reltyp1&contentId=359

12. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I get PBS OTA and agree, although I wish they would get more HD programming. 99% seems to be repeats (some of which are old enough that they are new to me).

13. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    I live in NY I don't get MY NETWORK and CW in hd. I am watching the MET- YANKEES on 95 and the feed is coming from MY NETWORK in hd. Will we get these channels when the new sats go up?

14. DVRaholic

DVRaholic Godfather

Nov 19, 2005
    This is the First time I have seen them do This, Broadcast a My9 HD game on Ch.95
    Maybe this means we might get the channel full time soon.

I get it OTA now, But I have friends hat would love to get these HD feeds, especially for Yankees and Met games

15. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    This is I think the 3rd or 4th time they have had a My9/Yankees feed in EI. Tonight they also have a TSN/Blue Jays feed and a CSN Philly feed as well. First time they have had a TSN feed in EI. They have had Rogers Sportsnet feeds however.

16. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    What kind OTA do you have?

17. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    OT to the post, really, but when the new sats are up, and the hd rsn's go to CONUS, will the spotbeam hd rsn's go away?

18. Kevin Dupuy

Kevin Dupuy Godfather

Nov 28, 2006
    Sports coverage on MyNet affiliates would be the only reason to get them in HD. Not bashing the network, but IIRC they are going to have all network broadcasted content in SD, with their switch to reality content.

CW in HD would be nice.:D

19. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    If as expected they are going CONUS I dont see a reason to keep them up on the spotbeams as well. Except maybe for Superfan.

20. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    The interesting thing is that I don't subscribe to EI but still got the HD My9 feed on 95. I have also seen the YES feed on 94 or 95 turned on as well. Other posters have maintained that if you don't subscribe to EI, you shouldn't get these feeds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.