1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PBS HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by grafixfreak, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1 of 53
    grafixfreak

grafixfreak AllStar

Sep 14, 2007
    I remember reading here a while ago about the addition of PBS HD. Whatever happened? Was it just a rumor? Just thought Id ask.

Thanks

2. Apr 8, 2010 #2 of 53
    Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Most markets have it. Check here for upcoming local HD launches

3. Apr 8, 2010 #3 of 53
    REDSKINSFAN47

REDSKINSFAN47 Legend

Sep 2, 2007
    Woodbine,MD
    alot of us got our local pbs stations,i got 22 mpt.don't know if national 1 is in hd or not.

4. Apr 8, 2010 #4 of 53
    bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    Are you in the Boston TV market? There's apparently some sort of issue between DirecTV and WGBH, because Boston is the only top 20 market (where a local PBS HD is available - in Denver, it allegedly isn't) where DirecTV doesn't carry at least one PBS HD. The New Hampshire PBS station has a test HD channel in the guide data, but it has been there for several months and they obviously still haven't made it available.

5. Apr 9, 2010 #5 of 53
    dennisa

dennisa Cool Member

Apr 30, 2009
    D* keeps saying "wait" when I ask about PBS HD in this area. Does anyone know what the problem is, or when it will happen? We watch PBS more than anything and it is very frustrating not to have it in HD, especially as it is available by our local cable company.

6. Apr 9, 2010 #6 of 53
    Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I keep hearing PBS locals choose whether their D* carriage is their HD or SD vehicle.

Our local used to output great HD - but, they have about 5 sub-channels, now, including 2 in Spanish and have [to my old eyes] reduced the quality of their HD feed, as well.

Anyway, we still only get the SD feed via D* and I have been told by local folks associated with the channel it's their choice - not D*.

7. Apr 9, 2010 #7 of 53
    wallybarthman

wallybarthman Godfather

Feb 4, 2009
    I went to AM21+Antenna route - PBS HD + all my sub-channels. It would be nice if it was part of D* though.

8. Apr 9, 2010 #8 of 53
    seern

seern Active Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Glen Allen, VA
    Here in Richmond, VA we have the PBS primary channel in sd and then a subcarrier in sd plus their alternate main channel also in sd. When I called D*, they told me it was the local channels decision to carry the sub instead of the HD. When I called the local PBS station, they said they had told D* to carry the hd, but D* decided to carry the sub instead. Go figure where all this finger pointing will lead too, the viewer getting the bad end.

9. Apr 9, 2010 #9 of 53
    anleva

anleva Icon

Nov 14, 2007
    No PBS HD in Colorado.

10. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Most markets? Not here in the Harrisburg/Lancaster, PA DMA. We're number 39. We've had some HD locals (ABC, Fox, CBS, and NBC) for 3 years but still no CW or PBS. Stinks!

11. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    We have 2 PBS stations in HD through Direct in my market

12. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    DirecTV reneged on a deal to provide a PBS HD channel in all new local rollouts. And what happened to the two new SD channels DirecTV was supposed to provide as part of the PBS deal?

13. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Just a FYI, if anyone wants PBS HD East and PBS HD West, Oklahoma PBS HD, and Louisiana PBS HD, and Montana PBS SD, they are available subscription free, with the purchase of a 90cm dish, and a HD receiver (total cost about $400 for standalone receiver, or $200 with a PCI computer receiver). They are all located on satellite AMC21, along with several part time PBS feeds.

Just in case you really love PBS like I do.

14. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Do you have a link to a new/press release for that? All I remember seeing is the original release just saying that D* and PBS came to an agreement but not that part.

15. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    Technically, yes. DirecTV offers PBS HD in 109 markets, which is more than half (and 97 more markets than Dish Network does).

16. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
  17. Avder

Avder Hall Of Fame

Feb 6, 2010
    I wish a couple of markets would have done without PBS HD so Fargo could have gotten NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox in HD :p

18. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    OK, that says:

"“This is a forward-looking, innovative agreement for the digital age. It means the great HD programming from PBS and local public television stations will be available to DirecTV customers in every market where DirecTV carries any local HD,” stated APTS president and CEO John Lawson. “We will also work together to make available a vast library of on demand content from local public television stations across the country.”

I don't see where it says it will carry PBS HD in all new local rollouts.

19. shendley

shendley Hall Of Fame

Nov 27, 2005
    We've had HD locals in Birmingham, Alabama for about ten years now and still no PBS HD . . . which is especially a shame since the PBS SD feed really stinks here. Easily the worst quality SD picture we get from directv. And, in my case, alas, too many trees to get PBS HD reliably with an antenna.

20. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    "It means the great HD programming from PBS and local public television stations will be available to DirecTV customers in every market where DirecTV carries any local HD."

It seems clear that DirecTV is supposed to give everyone an PBS HD feed, at least everyone who can get HD locals, because isn't the part about getting great HD programming mean that you get it in HD.