1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

PBS Sprout Channel 295

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by djbarker27, Jan 24, 2012.

1. djbarker27

djbarker27 New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    My friend received this email today form Directv:

Thank you for being a loyal DIRECTV customer. We appreciate your business and would like to provide an important update regarding your DIRECTV® programming.

Effective February 9, 2012, Sprout on Channel 295 will move to the CHOICE ULTIMATE™ package. This channel move is part of an effort to control rising programming costs while still offering you the most popular channels at a reasonable price across all our packages. We apologize for any inconvenience this programming change may cause.

Many of the shows broadcast on Sprout are also available on your local PBS station(s). To find your local PBS stations, go to the Search & Browse section of your Menu screen and type "PBS" in the Smart Search bar. You can also visit DIRECTV.com for the most up to date PBS channel listings in your area.

DIRECTV also offers a broad selection of additional children's programming in our kids channel neighborhood of 290 through 302, including several Disney and Nickelodeon channels, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, the Hub and BabyFirstTV.

Does this only effect the Choice Extra plan or the old Total Choice Plus plans as well?

2. RML81

RML81 Legend

Jul 3, 2011
    I got the email, too. I'm not concerned. I've never watched it.

3. hawksfan01

hawksfan01 New Member

May 20, 2011
    My daughter loves that channel. Had to make the upgrade, and spend even more money for one channel. I don't need or want the couple extra channels.

4. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    There is another thread about the topic. Cloo is also moving to Ultimate. I will have to wait to see what the final line ups will be before I decide whether to switch, but the grandkids like Sprout, and my wife likes Cloo, so I see another $5.00 per month to DirecTV in my future.

5. NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan Legend

Apr 23, 2010
    I remember years ago when I upgraded to Dish's AT250 just to get Boomerang! and a couple other niche channels. If your daughter wants it that much then just tell her it's part of her allowance.

6. mavs-fan

mavs-fan Mentor

Aug 31, 2011
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe if you currently have Sprout on the Choice Xtra package that your package will be renamed to Choice Xtra Classic after Feb. 9 and you will continue to have Sprout, Cloo and any other channels that may be moving to Ultimate after Feb. 9.

7. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    A good deal of the programming on Sprout is exclusive. As for the stuff on PBS, I can get that for free OTA.

8. detroit_fan

detroit_fan Legend

Dec 27, 2007
    I have an old package that appears as "Plus HD DVR" on my bill. I currently get sprout, does anyone know if it will stay in my current plan or will i have to get the ultimate?

9. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    It's coming out of all forms of CHOICE XTRA, including the soon to be re-named XTRA Classic.

10. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    You would have to upgrade. Plus HD DVR is the same as CHOICE XTRA with HD Access and DVR service.

11. detroit_fan

detroit_fan Legend

Dec 27, 2007
    thanks for teh reply. glad to know what current package my old one compares to.

so i would have to go to ultimate $71/month, then have to pay separate dvr($8) and hd($10) fees, so i'd be $89/month instead of my current $83/month for all. that sucks

12. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Not very classic then... :lol:

~Alan

13. cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    Any other channel changes we should know of possibly that are going to occur in two weeks?

14. Stryker412

Stryker412 Legend

Jan 21, 2009
    I spoke today with someone in retentions. I was very nice with the CSR and explained that I watch that channel all the time with our son. It's one of the few channels that does not have any programming I need to be concerned about him watching. The guy was very nice and we chatted for a bit. He upgraded me to Choice Ultimate and gave me a $5/month credit for a year. So basically I got the upgrade for free. I don't care about any of the other channels I gained but I'm glad we're keeping Sprout. Now about getting it in HD...

15. Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68 Godfather

Oct 14, 2004
    Northern...
    I am not too concerned with Sprout, but I do watch cloo. I did upgrade recently to Ultimate, so I guess it wont affect me much. I am curious to see the new package lineups tho.

16. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    Now I have to wonder, are Sprout and Cloo those channels that are driving our bills up? I don't think so, but I get the point that Directv needs to get costs in check. But really, these channels? Seriously. How about pulling off Fox News? That channel drives costs up more significantly.....

17. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009

You don't care about the cost of FNC. You just object because it is more conservative.

18. detroit_fan

detroit_fan Legend

Dec 27, 2007
    Why would they move the most popular news channel. Makes more sense to move the ones nobody watches, like msnbc and current tv ;)

19. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Slight correction

Choice Ultimate $74.99/month, Dvr($8) and HD($10)
    Total = $92.99

20. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I am just curious why they are raising the price of the package (Xtra Classic) if they are removing channels from it. Logically, the price should stay the same, and they should just remove channels every year to keep the price the same (for that package).

This move really makes no sense to me. Maybe they are just getting us used to losing channels from our packages to see if we will complain about losing them at the same time they hike the price.