1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC requirements for MediaShare

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by malakajim, Jul 7, 2009.

1. malakajim

malakajim New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Hi all, this is my first post here. Long time DTV subscriber, but never had any issues or considered doing anything other than "watching on my TV".

Well a few things have me changing my mind, 1st being all the available apps out there, 2nd being a new baby and wanting to view pics on bigscreen and finally my old PC crapped the bed recently (RIP).

So the ancient PC is really what kept me from trying to install MedialShare or Directv2PC and trying to network my DVR's.

Now that I'm in the market, I was curious as to what features I should look for in a tower. I know a good video card is essential, and decent speed processor,but would a dual core be needed over say a P4, etc... I was thinking about one of the HP MediaCenter towers. Anything I should stay away from or definitely have?

This may not end up being a brand new, store bought unit, so keep that in mind.

Thanks alot.
    Big Daddy D.

2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You won't even be able to buy anything but at LEAST a dual-core. If you spend at least $350 on *any* desktop (without monior included), you'll have plenty of performance for normal use. Obviously, if you're a gamer, video editor, or 3D modeler, you'll want a lot more performance and are prepared to pay for it, but for most folks, PCs in the $350-500 range are more than enough.

3. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    Copied the following from the directv.com website (change Category to Directv2PC):

What do I need to get DIRECTV2PC to work at my home?

You need to be a DIRECTV subscriber with at least one DIRECTV PlusĀ® HD DVR receiver _ with DVR service activated. Your receiver must be connected to your home network and a DIRECTV2PC-compliant computer must also be connected to your home network. A DIRECTV2PC-compliant computer must meet the minimum system recommendations, which are: Dual core CPU, 512 MB Ram, 256 MB Graphics, and Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

:)

4. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Pretty much any new junker PC you can buy today is more then powerful enough to do Mediashare, DirecTV2PC and pretty much anything else other then higher end gaming.

My wife's computer is nearly 6 years old and it can do Mediashare just fine. It can also do DirecTV2PC fine as well other then streaming HD programs. It just doesn't quite have the horsepower to do HD (only a single core P4, dual core didn't even exist when I built that PC).